Can't Stream General Conference

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

So in just over 1 year, the petition has accumulated 450 signatures? That's disappointing.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

jbh001 wrote:So in just over 1 year, the petition has accumulated 450 signatures? That's disappointing.
It will certainly get more visibility now that it has been mentioned here. But apparently the word would have to be spread on many other forums in addition to this one to get a movement going.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mkmurray wrote:It will certainly get more visibility now that it has been mentioned here.
It was mentioned in this forum 6 months ago.

I'm not sure how much that reflects the needs and how much it reflects the publicity.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

I looked at GC through new link (beta reader version) and it works fine in my GNU/Linux box.
So something is going on!
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

marianomarini_vi wrote:I looked at GC through new link (beta reader version) and it works fine in my GNU/Linux box.
So something is going on!
Other than the new page layout, I'm not seeing evidence of a change in file formats, at least for the delayed versions. The 'listen' and 'download' columns contain links to files with suffixes .mp3, .mp4, and .wmv, the same formats that have been available on the main page for at least the past few years, if I remember correctly. I am grateful those formats are available and usable.

For me, the 'watch' column attempts to run the Move Networks player, which on my GNU/Linux machines results in a page that says my OS is not supported--also the same result as the past few years.
russelljd

Post by russelljd »

On the LDS.org homepage there was a link to a new player that was being beta tested for a couple of sessions during General Conference. The link was taken down sometime yesterday.
robartsd

Post by robartsd »

mkmurray wrote:It will certainly get more visibility now that it has been mentioned here. But apparently the word would have to be spread on many other forums in addition to this one to get a movement going.
460 signatures after I just added mine.
Siddharta-p40

Post by Siddharta-p40 »

I'm using Debian GNU/Linux (squeeze) on my laptop, and me and my family were able to watch and listen (in spanish, we're mexican) the General Conference without a problem.

I'm using smplayer (frontend to mplayer) and I just clicked on Open > URL... , and pasted this link there:

mms://us-eu-st13g1.att-idns.net/3102_9548_01.asf

Such link was made available on the LDS.org page in "other streams" . Sometimes I use other links to watch BYUtv broadcasts, with no problem at all:

http://www.byutv.org/streaming/byutv.asx
http://www.byu.tv/international/index.html?show=es

These two links are already stored in the Open > TV > Edit... menu, so I don't have to paste them everytime I want to watch the streams.

Regards,
Sidd.
scion-p40

Post by scion-p40 »

This year the English version of all sessions of General Conference streamed perfectly when live! Woohoo! That's the first time in quite awhile for me. (We have used the ASL - American Sign Language - stream to circumvent this problem in the past.)

However, trying to stream the video from the archive is *awful*! For example (note that pauses last longer than the spoken word portions):
at the end of the day a pair of missio
naries starts t
stay home and provide an environment where the spirit can be felt
(breath only)
teaching the doctrine r
we learn that while the spirit of

Several times a snippet was only a breath or part of a multi-syllabic word. LDS.org is the only site that has this problem. Hulu, youtube, and even movies are fine. General Conference is not. I wish that they'd fix this.
russelljd

Post by russelljd »

Can you provide more specifics? Does it just affecting one session or is it affect all of them? What method of streaming are you using-- i.e. the Move player, the Quicktime MP4, the WMV, etc.?

I just tried a couple of random sessions and scrubbed through to different parts and it streamed fine for me.

Return to “Main Church Website”