Help I can't get into Tools/LCR Can't log in, down for maintenance

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
johnshaw

Help I can't get into Tools/LCR Can't log in, down for maintenance

Post by johnshaw »

Team,

I couldn't find any other topics on this so I just started a new one :)

Looky what happens around here when something like this happens. Here's the problem. Thousands of members of the church think this is on their end, they're uninstalling and reinstalling, they're frustrating each other by some people saying 'it worked for me' all the while it's an intermittent problem that will work sometimes. There are countless, literally thousands of hours that members/leaders in the church are spending clearing cache, installing a different browser, coming here to log one of a dozen or so new topics.

STOP THE MADNESS - put up a message somewhere that tells people it is intermittent, describe what is going on and help them. I know we're not your customers, and I'm sure it's really helpful that a dozen or so people at headquarters are kept up-to-date on progress. But goodness, time is valuable - let people know of the issues.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
mevans

Re: Help I can't get into Tools/LCR Can't log in, down for maintenance

Post by mevans »

It seems the church's load balancers default to the maintenance page if they don't get a response from servers within the desired time. Perhaps they could change the message on the "maintenance" page to indicate there are technical difficulties, please try back later. I don't know if that's more helpful, or not.

Regarding the problems: on a thread somewhere, someone from the church commented that they were aware of the issues and if it was a simple matter of throwing more servers at the problem, it would have been solved long ago. I suspect there are architectural issues that impact the scalability. I saw a church job posting a few months ago looking for a cloud architect, so perhaps they're looking at rewriting/rebuilding major systems in the cloud. If done correctly, that could ultimately be better for the entire church membership and reduce latency on systems. I don't know the church's plans, but it's nice to see they're thinking in that direction. Still, it could be several years to get all that done, especially with the limited teams they seem to have.
swaj

Post by swaj »

I have posted on the forum already 2 weeks or so ago still I can't gain access to LCR It is very frustrating I am a District President how to I full fill my responsibility Global services please redesign your program it's not helping at all I am very frustrated our District Conference is approaching 29th January to be precise. There is work that needs to be done please help.

Regards

District President Windhoek Namibia
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

swaj wrote:I have posted on the forum already 2 weeks or so ago still I can't gain access to LCR It is very frustrating I am a District President how to I full fill my responsibility Global services please redesign your program it's not helping at all I am very frustrated our District Conference is approaching 29th January to be precise. There is work that needs to be done please help.

Regards

District President Windhoek Namibia
Please be aware that this is a user-to-user mutual-support forum. This is _NOT_ an official request channel to GSC or any other official Church support personnel. In order to guarantee official response, please use official help channels such as the 'Feedback' link or contacting GSC directly by phone or email.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

swaj wrote:I have posted on the forum already 2 weeks or so ago still I can't gain access to LCR It is very frustrating I am a District President how to I full fill my responsibility Global services please redesign your program it's not helping at all I am very frustrated our District Conference is approaching 29th January to be precise. There is work that needs to be done please help.
Call the service center. If it has been going on this long, it's not related to any kind of system outage.
dude7054

Post by dude7054 »

What I find most interesting about this issue is that it is not a Church wide SSO issue. Member Tools contacts the same SSO handler as every other member Church service that uses sign-in. When you attempt to sign in to the main church site, it will likely work. Member Tools is doing something wonky with it's load balancers, probably trying to resolve the sign-on request to a broken node, or to a node that doesn't exist. I too am experiencing these issues. I'll attempt to gather logs when I return home today.

TL;DR: This is not a recent issue, and as far as I can tell, you'll need to use the http://churchofjesuschrist.org equivalent of Member Tools until the Church IT team can resolve the issue.

Return to “Main Church Website”