Data, Data, Where is My Data?

Discuss the feature articles on the Tech Home Page.

Do you agree or disagree with this blog?

I have no opinion
88%
I have no opinion
6%
I have no opinion
6%

Total votes: 16

James_Piper-p40

Post by James_Piper-p40 »

I see this is an old thread, but these types of things should always be re-visted. About a year ago, I shored up my backups to the point where they are pretty reliable for those who need a file restored, especially ones that are hit with the backup at night. While I don't have a provision for those who save over their documents hour by hour, in my experience its not something that is asked for much. Usually, people who lose files due to a crash on the PC itself, which Word does a decent job recovering from those (although the current that comes back may not have everything, it is a place to start at least).

We run a document management system and force our users to save their data to the server. They can save things to the hard drive, but we tell them over and over that if their hard drive dies, their data is GONE forever. If you don't have a document management system, Group Policies can be used to force people's hand and not allow them to save things anywhere else.

We run Symantec Backup Exec 10.2, which is a pretty good program. It allows you to backup to tape and disk, which is something we use a lot. Our rotation is a full backup to a large disk and tape on Monday, Tuesday-Thursday to tape and disk incremental, Friday to full to large disk, Sunday (yes, we make our servers work on Sunday) we do a full to tape to take off site. We are able to restore without tape up to a week old, which is good enough for most. Our server has 1.1TB and we use LTO3 tapes, which are amazingly fast and have 250GB compressed (more like 225GB). We also backup a SQL database using a plug in for Symantec, which actually goes into the database and backs it up.

Just make sure you test whatever backup system you have yearly and constantly revise your plans. Things change a lot and Disaster Recovery plans often get overlooked.

USB keys are used in our organization but not usually for live data.. We give them to clients and use them for PowerPoint presentations. Most of my users log into a GoToMyPC account or use our VPN if they are laptop users. If you give the users access to their data anywhere, they are less likely to want to take their data with them. Of course, these open more support issues, but they have access to the live data on the server instead of using media that can be lost of stolen.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

James_Piper wrote:If you don't have a document management system, Group Policies can be used to force people's hand and not allow them to save things anywhere else.
Not sure which ones you are referring to, but if you re-point "My Documents" to their "home" directory on the server, then that's where most things will end up by default.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
James_Piper-p40

Post by James_Piper-p40 »

Yeah, that is good for most. I usually hide drives and take away their right to see their C drive for the stubburn ones. I have even taken away the shell a time or two back in the day. Its not popular. :D
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

James_Piper wrote:Yeah, that is good for most. I usually hide drives and take away their right to see their C drive for the stubburn ones. I have even taken away the shell a time or two back in the day. Its not popular. :D
You should see how I've set up our FHC machines. C drive? What C drive?:D
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Featured Article Discussions”