Remote work

Interested in working for the Church? Ask questions and discuss opportunities with recruiters here.
pgacv2

Remote work

Post by pgacv2 »

Hello,

I know this has been mentioned in the past, but I see no recent posts on it. Are there plans to allow remote work? All of the current tech jobs seem to require physically being in the US.

Thanks,

Pedro G. Acevedo
marc.brejcha

Re: Remote work

Post by marc.brejcha »

Agreed. I would love to here about this. I am currently in the Colorado Springs area working on a 800,000 user domain remotely. I have no ambition to uproot my family but I would love to work on the enterprise level of the church.
MarilynSJones

Post by MarilynSJones »

Many of the jobs that can be done from home can be done from anywhere in the world. The person must have excellent English skills, and perhaps be easily understood on the telephone.
jessej3000

Post by jessej3000 »

This seems to be a very old post. but I would like add my comment.

Working remotely now a days are very common. I myself been working remotely for my US and AU clients for around 5 years now. It is a great blessing as I can spend much more time with family and at the same time really focus on work and developing my skills land other interests. The downside is, the risk is very high as most companies or individual offering remote opportunities have very little or no benefits at all. And most can decide to let go of you anytime. And if you have a family to feed, its going to be a nightmare full of tears.

Anyway, I still do not give-up on this kind of work setup. I still believe that there are companies out there who will have enough trust for their employees to work remotely. If ever the church will decide to offer such opportunity for software developers. I would gladly help in pioneering it.

Would really love to contribute my skills in programming to the church.
jackcholt

Post by jackcholt »

I would like to add my ditto. I was just contacted on LinkedIn about a position in SLC. However, when I mentioned my desire to work remotely they simply said that being at the office in SLC was a necessity. I also have experience working on remote teams for a company I have been employed at for more than 20 years. They trust me enough to let me work remotely.

I would dearly love to hear the justification for this. I'm relatively certain there is one. Still it would appease my curiosity to know why. Perhaps we can "council together" about this.

As others have said about remote work in this thread, remote work is becoming more commonplace in the industry. With the worthiness requirement of being temple worthy, that should indicate that the employee would be trustworthy and faithful enough to hold such a position of trust.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

From various conversations, I get the impression that the culture in CHQ is the type of casual networking where you can just poke your head up and say "Hey Carl" at any time to work though a problem. Sure, they could call you, but that's a more effort and a little more formal than the kind of culture they have in mind. The mental picture I have is a close cluster of cubicles with half-height walls. The kind where you just have to lift your head up to have a conversation.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jackcholt

Post by jackcholt »

Can anyone say "instant messaging"? I once worked more than 10 years ago where there were no cubicle walls even. The idea was the same as you describe. Quick chats and no ability to have high intensity, heads down, individual work sessions. No thanks!

I would think by now that the concept is outdated and disproven as an efficient practice.
RMiller801

Post by RMiller801 »

I've been interested in working for the LDS Church, but I have a concern that
being employed for the LDS Church would cause a conflict of interest for
anyone who has worked for the U.S. Government DoD or any other
foreign government defense departments for this matter.
I am concerned that other organizations outside of the LDS Church could be
using the LDS Church communication systems for illicit activities.
For instance, the LDS Church has thousands of Stake Centers world wide with satellite communication systems
that are continuously transmitting data. If the satellite communication systems at LDS Stake Centers are typically used a couple times per year for general conference, then what other data is continuously being transmitted the rest of the time?
Does anyone know if the LDS Church actually monitors and/or regulates the satellite communication activities?
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

There is a team responsible for monitoring the satellite system.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

RMiller801 wrote:For instance, the LDS Church has thousands of Stake Centers world wide with satellite communication systems that are continuously transmitting data.
Continuously receiving data. None of the dishes I know about are capable of transmiting. Not just disabled, not capable. As in lacking the hardware needed to transmit.

From what I've seen, when it's not in use, it's set to BYU-TV.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Technical Recruiting”