Priests ordaining Deacons, Teachers, Priests

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
EricEdwin

Re: Priests ordaining Deacons, Teachers, Priests

Post by EricEdwin »

D&C 20:48
jsorens6

Post by jsorens6 »

mrallen1 wrote:A priest can ordain other priests using his aaronic priesthood. if a melchizedek priesthood holder ordains a priest he is technically using the aaronic priesthood. if a priest is in the circle, he could say "by the authority of the priesthood". Remember, John the Baptist said this when he ordained Joseph Smith: Upon you my fellow servants, in the name of Messiah, I confer the Priesthood of Aaron...
I like this and it would match verbiage used elsewhere.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

acw39 wrote:When both a Melchizedek priesthood, and an Aaronic priesthood holder (priest) stand in the same circle for a priest ordination then the authority that is stated is by the priesthood. So for example by the authority of the priesthood we ordained you to the office of priest.
That is one way of doing it. I have heard several other wordings that also work just fine.
stevedw48

Post by stevedw48 »

Ordaining using "I" or "We": If "We" is used, then wouldn't you list the names of all involved in that persons line of authority. I think "I" makes more sense.
erikgoetz

Post by erikgoetz »

Church handbook is quite clear on this. I don't know how to post a screenshot of the handbook on here since this is my first post.

Authorized priesthood holder, in this case anyone ordained as a priest or higher my participate.

2. States the authority HE holds to perform the ordinance.

So the answer is, state the priesthood you hold regardless of who is in the circle and I is used as the spokesperson.
erikgoetz

Post by erikgoetz »

I should add, that we can be used during the blessing as well and isn't wrong to say since you are acting as a group.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

erikgoetz wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:05 am Church handbook is quite clear on this. I don't know how to post a screenshot of the handbook on here since this is my first post.

(Thank you for your post, and welcome to the Forums.)

In case the reference hasn't already been posted earlier in this thread, the detailed instructions are in section 18.10.5 of the handbook.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

2. States the authority HE holds to perform the ordinance.
Not sure if the Handbook was subsequently updated or if the poster just missed the additional word, but as of 10/25/22, here's the complete verbiage of bullet 2 in GHB 18.10.5 (the word personally is included):
2. States the authority he personally holds to perform the ordinance (either the Aaronic or Melchizedek Priesthood).
grahamaudenart

Post by grahamaudenart »

We had this topic come up just recently and I think the handbook has been even updated since the last post. It now adds “personally” referring to the individual conferring or ordaining.

1. Calls the person by his full name.

2. States the authority he personally holds to perform the ordinance (either the Aaronic or Melchizedek Priesthood).

This is found in 18.10.5
carrethi

Post by carrethi »

May I ask the following question?
It is said that only Melchisedek Priesthood holders can give blessings.
Also that a priest can ordain priests, teachers and deacons.
In this case, what about the step “give words of blessing…” ? I cannot find any general instruction on this.

Return to “General Discussions”