Branch Clerk for 2 branches

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
hyunajensen

Branch Clerk for 2 branches

Post by hyunajensen »

I have been called as the branch clerk for 2 branches. We can only get LCR access for 1 branch to show in the system under my name. Is it possible to get access to both branches and like a district clerk use the drop down to switch between branches? How would this be done?

Thanks.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Branch Clerk for 2 branches

Post by russellhltn »

Are you listed as having that calling in both branches? (Using a standard position)? You'd have to be a out-of-unit member of at least one branch to do that. (And have you waited 24 hours after recording the position?)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

hyunajensen wrote:I have been called as the branch clerk for 2 branches.
I believe that the only way is to have yourself entered as an out-of-unit member in the branch(es) where you do not reside, then be given the standard calling of branch clerk. You should then be able to access both branches, and you might even get a drop down box at LCR to let you select one or the other. (It may take up to 24 hours for the calling(s) to propagate through the system.)

The challenge is that I believe you can only be an out-of-unit member in one place, so if you do not live in either of the branches, you may have to pick one for your membership record and be an OOU member of the other one.

I suspect that scgallafent probably is intrigued enough by this scenario that he is trying to see if it will actually work.

I see other options. One is that you diligently work to train a clerk in each branch to replace you (unless you live in one of them). Another is that you identify a trusted assistant clerk or more in each branch who will actually do most of the work under your direction and training.

And finally, perhaps one of the counselors to the branch president(s) could also have the standard branch clerk calling to do those very few things an assistant cannot do.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

lajackson wrote:The challenge is that I believe you can only be an out-of-unit member in one place, so if you do not live in either of the branches, you may have to pick one for your membership record and be an OOU member of the other one.
According to scgallafent it is possible to have callings in multiple units. Based on the context of that thread it certainly sounds like he's talking about more than just home unit and one other unit.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

eblood66 wrote:
lajackson wrote:The challenge is that I believe you can only be an out-of-unit member in one place, . . .
According to scgallafent it is possible to have callings in multiple units.
It does sound that way. So that would be my answer. Get set up as an out-of-unit member in both branches (if needed), get input in the standard calling, and have at it.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

lajackson wrote:I suspect that scgallafent probably is intrigued enough by this scenario that he is trying to see if it will actually work.
Guilty as charged. We have tested this fairly thoroughly, but I still wanted to verify it is functioning correctly. The position picker lists him as a branch clerk in two different branches, so it looks like it is working correctly.

For users who have multiple callings with LCR access, there is a drop list that appears to the left of the ward/branch and stake/district name that allows the user to select which position to use, which sets the context LCR is operating in. It is located at the top right of the page, just below the gray menu bar, and looks like this:
position-picker.png
position-picker.png (4.23 KiB) Viewed 1702 times
For users who only have one calling with LCR access, this area shows the stake/district and ward/branch information. In some contexts (member list, for example), the ward/branch name becomes a unit picker that allows the user to filter the view to a single unit. That looks something like this:
unit-picker.png
unit-picker.png (7.22 KiB) Viewed 1702 times
Based on hyunajensen's original message, I suspect he was used to seeing the unit picker available to the district and was looking for that to switch between branches. In this case, he needs to use the position picker to act as the branch clerk in the correct branch.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

scgallafent wrote: Based on hyunajensen's original message, I suspect he was used to seeing the unit picker available to the district and was looking for that to switch between branches. In this case, he needs to use the position picker to act as the branch clerk in the correct branch.
When he first posted, his second clerk position had only been entered for about an hour, so he still wasn't seeing it.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”