transfer from a budget category to Other-reimbursable expense

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
WatrousSB

transfer from a budget category to Other-reimbursable expense

Post by WatrousSB »

I issued a check to the Boy Scouts out of Budget: Administration. I found out it should have come out of the Other Category as a reimbursable expense. I'm new at this. What are the steps for me to get the funds into the Other Category?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd change the category of the check. See Expenses - Frequently asked questions (look at the 3rd question).
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
WatrousSB

Post by WatrousSB »

Thanks! I'm not at the MLS screen, so I'm going by memory, and I think the reimbursable expense falls under the Other category. (Please let me know if I'm wrong). I heard previously that I have to write a check from the stake to the stake when changing from a budget category to the Other category or vice-versa. If that is the case, I was hoping to find out the steps for writing the check in such cases - what account needs to be credited, etc.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

watroussb wrote:I'm not at the MLS screen, so I'm going by memory, and I think the reimbursable expense falls under the Other category. (Please let me know if I'm wrong).
Technically it's under Other, but when you are selecting the category, it is simply "Reimbursable Expenses:Scout Registration".
watroussb wrote:I heard previously that I have to write a check from the stake to the stake when changing from a budget category to the Other category or vice-versa. If that is the case, I was hoping to find out the steps for writing the check in such cases - what account needs to be credited, etc.
You have to write a check to transfer money from one major category to another, but if you are simply adjusting an existing transaction, you can go ahead and just change the category, even if it changes major categories.

The change from Budget to Reimbursable will first credit your Budget and debit the particular Reimbursable category; then because it is a Reimbursable category, you will get a corresponding credit added automatically.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

watroussb wrote:Thanks! I'm not at the MLS screen, so I'm going by memory, and I think the reimbursable expense falls under the Other category. (Please let me know if I'm wrong). I heard previously that I have to write a check from the stake to the stake when changing from a budget category to the Other category or vice-versa. If that is the case, I was hoping to find out the steps for writing the check in such cases - what account needs to be credited, etc.
You used to not be able to cut a check that drew from more than one major category (FO, Other, Budget, Ward Missionary) but that restriction is no longer in place. It should therefore not be a problem. I've never had to do it, but there is no harm in trying.

The reason you used to have to cut a check was because once you'd cut a check from budget, you could only change the category to another budget subcategory, but not to a subcategory in a different major category (Other subcategory, for instance). Now you should be able to change the category to the Other account even if the original check was from budget.

Just change it to the Other category you should have cut the check from originally and all crediting and debiting will take place automatically so the result will be as if the check had been cut from the correct category originally.
WatrousSB

Post by WatrousSB »

Thanks very much for the background and where to go from here with such quick responses. This is a valuable resource!

Return to “Local Unit Finance”