Page 1 of 2

Budget Calculation

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:46 pm
by mattolander
I know that there are specific amounts that were changed a few years ago inrelationship to attendance. Does anyone know the dollar amount that is paid to each category? i.e. $8 for Sacrament, $10 for ym, etc?

Sacrament meeting
Young men
Young women
Primary children ages 8-11
Young single adults

I recognize that the Stake also gains their budget from the wards, so this would be assuming that 100% passed through.

Re: Budget Calculation

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:32 pm
by aebrown
mattolander wrote:I know that there are specific amounts that were changed a few years ago inrelationship to attendance. Does anyone know the dollar amount that is paid to each category? i.e. $8 for Sacrament, $10 for ym, etc?

Sacrament meeting
Young men
Young women
Primary children ages 8-11
Young single adults

I recognize that the Stake also gains their budget from the wards, so this would be assuming that 100% passed through.

You've got the correct categories, but the wrong amounts. However, I'm not comfortable posting the exact amounts here on a public forum. Your ward clerk should know the amounts, and your stake clerk definitely will know them (the stake clerk receives quarterly reports that give all the details, including the percentages retained by your stake). Ask one of them.

Re: Budget Calculation

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:23 pm
by jdlessley
In MLS there is a quarterly allocation report for each quarter that provides all the numbers, including capitation amounts, used in determining the unit quarterly allocation.

Re: Budget Calculation

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:52 am
by mattolander
jdlessley wrote:In MLS there is a quarterly allocation report for each quarter that provides all the numbers, including capitation amounts, used in determining the unit quarterly allocation.


Unfortunately we have a new Stake clerk and he didn't know. But I will look in MLS on Sunday.
Thanks!

Re: Budget Calculation

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:06 am
by drepouille
One thing I recently discovered is the way budget allocations are made for Young Single Adults in each ward. Since the clerk only counts total attendance in Sacrament meeting, we don't really know how many YSAs attend Sacrament meeting. So their activity is calculated, rather than measured. For example, if your ward has 20 YSAs, and your Sacrament meeting attendance is 50%, then it is calculated that 10 YSAs are active, and the YSA budget allocation is based upon that number.
As far as I know, the only other count the clerk must perform in Sacrament meeting is for new converts, because he must report their attendance and activity by name. YSA Sacrament meeting attendance is not tracked by name.

Re: Budget Calculation

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:03 am
by aebrown
drepouille wrote:One thing I recently discovered is the way budget allocations are made for Young Single Adults in each ward.

Correct, and a similar calculation is done for Primary. The attendance for Primary on the quarterly report is reported only for the entire (age 3-11) Primary. But the component of the budget allowance for activities of children is intended only for children age 8-11. So the Primary attendance percentage is multiplied by the number of children age 8-11 at the end of the reporting quarter to come up with the computed number of active children age 8-11.

For example, if you have 80% overall Primary attendance for a quarter, and you have 20 children ages 8-11, the Primary component of the budget allowance will be based on 16 children.

Re: Budget Calculation

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:56 pm
by justin.scott
drepouille wrote:For example, if your ward has 20 YSAs, and your Sacrament meeting attendance is 50%, then it is calculated that 10 YSAs are active, and the YSA budget allocation is based upon that number.


In your example, you use 20 for the number of YSAs in the ward. From a Stake Clerk position, where would you find that number? All I see on Quarterly Reports generated by the ward is the number of "Young Single Adults attending priesthood or Relief Society meetings."

Re: Budget Calculation

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:16 am
by eblood66
justin.scott wrote:In your example, you use 20 for the number of YSAs in the ward. From a Stake Clerk position, where would you find that number? All I see on Quarterly Reports generated by the ward is the number of "Young Single Adults attending priesthood or Relief Society meetings."

The quarterly report has two numbers. The first is the 'actual' which is the number attending. The second is the 'potential' which is the total number in the unit.

Re: Budget Calculation

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:43 pm
by justin.scott
Thank you for the quick reply.

How are the budgets calculated for the Young Men and Young Women categories? Do they receive an amount per person, or is it calculated similar to how the YSAs are?

Really just trying to wrap my head around all of the calculations. Thanks in advance.

Re: Budget Calculation

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:54 pm
by drepouille
The quarterly budget allocation statement that you recently received via MLS and LCR Finance should state exactly how much your stake receives for each person. Your stake determines the percentage passed on to your ward for each category. That is also shown on the quarterly budget statement.