Correcting a Fast Offering expense

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
hpaulsen

Correcting a Fast Offering expense

Post by hpaulsen »

I was recently (re-)called to be a ward clerk. In reviewing expenses, I noticed that one fast offering reimbursement was incorrectly totaled, resulting in an over-pay of around $5. If it were a budget item, then I would request that they donate the overage to the ward and we would notate the expense to point to the correction that was taken. However, if we have the member do this for a fast offering receipt, it will incorrectly be perceived as an additional donation to Fast Offerings.

Does anyone know what the correct procedure would be? (Is there one?)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Correcting a Fast Offering expense

Post by russellhltn »

I'm not aware of one. I'm not aware of any way to re-pay Fast Offering without it being a donation.

You could call support and see what they say.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Re: Correcting a Fast Offering expense

Post by eblood66 »

The donation could be made anonymously (which wouldn't provide any tracking that the incorrect payment was being returned) or using a non-member donor that identifies the party making the refund with a name that indicates somehow this is a refund. That way it wouldn't show up as a donation on an individuals statement but still be trackable.

Of course, if the reimbursement was to a service provider then you can probably just list them as the donor and it won't matter much because they will not be claiming a charitable tax deduction for it anyway.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”