Splitting Records for Divorcing Couple

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
engineereeyore

Splitting Records for Divorcing Couple

Post by engineereeyore »

I'm trying to get official guidance on how to handle the records of a couple going through a divorce. Are we allowed to remove the husband from the rest of the family and transfer them out of the ward prior to the actual divorce, or do we have to wait until the divorce is finalized? I couldn't find anything in any of the manuals addressing this issue, so I was hoping someone here could provide some insight and a reference, if at all possible. Thanks!
eblood66

Re: Splitting Records for Divorcing Couple

Post by eblood66 »

Where records reside does not depend on marriage in any way, it depends on where the person is living. If the husband is living in a different ward then his records should be transferred there whether or not the divorce if final. That would be true even if they aren't planning on getting a divorce as long as the move is going to be for more than 3 months (or in certain cases involving military service or temporary employment). See Handbook 1 section 13.6 (first two paragraphs) and section 13.6.4 for details.
engineereeyore

Post by engineereeyore »

Thanks for the information!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Now, recording the divorce on the records is a different matter. That needs to wait until that becomes their legal status. But you can split up the household as the situation dictates.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lehancock

Post by lehancock »

As a divorced father who didn't want this outcome, I am doubly penalized by the church records policy. My ex petitioned the ward clerk when she filed for divorce to separate my record from her and my kids. This was done without Bishop approval or notifying me of said proposal. Now with the new youth program and the app that goes with it, I am unable to connect with my kids, because despite living with me half the time and attending youth activities with the ward I reside in, they also can't form circle connections with their leaders and friends in the ward they are most connected to, because their records are tied to Mom's. I have been asking local leaders for how to correct this issue for some time now without much assistance. It is now compounded with the enthusiasm to have a family directed church supported youth program that I am excluded from. I can't be the only divorcee in the church that has had to deal with this issue. Please help.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

If the children attend your ward, check with your bishop about having the ward clerk create an "out of unit" record for your children. I think they can be placed in your household. How that works with the new Gospel Living app, I can't say, but it's worth a try.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

lehancock wrote:I can't be the only divorcee in the church that has had to deal with this issue.
You are not the only one, of course. That is why bishops are in the best position to determine how membership records are maintained and how family situations are best handled in the membership system. Your own bishop and his clerk are the ones who will best be able to assist you with membership record issues as they follow the guidance of Church leaders.

Return to “Membership Help”