Full-Time Missionaries

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jupurulla-p40

Full-Time Missionaries

Post by jupurulla-p40 »

Is there a way to get MLS to recognize those who are out on full-time missions so their names don't pop up on reports, etc? It would be helpful if you could put them in a "FT Missionary" status so they don't show up on singles lists and temple recommend lists.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

<sigh> The old MIS system allowed you to put "C" (current) for the "Full Time Mission" flag in the membership record. I don't know if MLS ever got that feature. I'm not near a MLS help file right now.
SmithGW

Full-time Missionaries

Post by SmithGW »

The records of full-time missionaries remain in their home wards, and so you are going to see them on lists. The important things to remember are that full-time missionaries should be:

1. Marked as full-tithe payers at tithing settlement.
2. Marked as attending priesthood.
3. Marked as being home-taught each month.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

smithgw wrote:The important things to remember are that full-time missionaries should be:

1. Marked as full-tithe payers at tithing settlement.
2. Marked as attending priesthood.
3. Marked as being home-taught each month.
The old MIS system took care of that auto-magically. (At least #2 and 3) ;)

What's the odds of a feature request to add it to MLS?
embunker

Post by embunker »

It does not now. I have been asking for that from MLS for a few years
xrxtech

Post by xrxtech »

Here's what I do in our ward.

In stead of them being "Head of House", if their family is in the ward then I put them in as part of that family, then they don't need a second home teaching designation, they get "taught" when thier family gets "taught" as for attendance, you or your Statistics clerk have to "add" their stats in to the the quarterly reports as attending meeting.

Maybe this will help :confused:
Daryl1

Post by Daryl1 »

For the last three years I have done the same thing. I merge the full time missionary serving from the unit with the parents head of household records.

That is a good idea to have MLS always mark the full time missionary serving from unit as
1 Recorded as full- tithe payer at tithing settlement,

2.Recorded as attending Priesthood.
3.Recorded as being home-taught each month.
4.Recorded in the officers sustained section number serving from unit.

I also agree they should not be showing up on temple recommend lists nor single adult lists while gone from unit serving full time.

Maybe the software developers can make a new section in MLS for Missionaries. I also envision this is where the following can be recorded

Leadership:
Bishop recorded as Ward Mission President.
The Ward Mission Leader can be recorded.
The Ward Missionaries in the Unit can be recorded.

The full time Missionaries serving from unit can be recorded and flagged here.

Other Callings
Baptism Clothing
Baptism Coordinator

I would like to also add have MLS record full time missionaries serving from unit in the officer's sustained section. All of this needs to be duplicated and shown at the Stake MLS also. This would be a very nice feature and improvement to have someday.

Thank you.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

Mr. Techno wrote:
The full time Missionaries serving from unit can be recorded and flagged here.

Other Callings
[/quote]I put them under the Out-of-Unit Callings, along with all those in the ward with stake callings.
geek

Post by geek »

But do we count them in attendance when counting sacrament attendance? We went back and forth on this last year, and I never got a comfort level. We currently do NOT count them as present at Church, but I could justify it from either side.
Former membership clerk under 3 bishops, now on 2nd stint as executive secretary. Can I go back to teaching priesthood now?
daddy-o-p40

Post by daddy-o-p40 »

xrxtech wrote:Here's what I do in our ward.

In stead of them being "Head of House", if their family is in the ward then I put them in as part of that family, then they don't need a second home teaching designation, they get "taught" when thier family gets "taught" as for attendance, you or your Statistics clerk have to "add" their stats in to the the quarterly reports as attending meeting.

Maybe this will help :confused:

Ditto for us.

We have gone back and forth about counting them in the attendance metrics (Sacrament & Priesthood) as it seems to skew the results.
"What have I done for someone today?" Thomas Monson

Return to “Membership Help”