Meaning of record numbers

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

I'd love to hear from someone at the Church that knows the past and current meaning (might be the same) of the record number format.
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

In Brazil, or, in my stake, all members baptized before 2000 have a 010-####-#### number. After 2000 (I can't know the date) 000 and 001 members begin to appear.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

MorettiDP wrote:In Brazil, or, in my stake, all members baptized before 2000 have a 010-####-#### number. After 2000 (I can't know the date) 000 and 001 members begin to appear.
Intersting, thank you for that info; I'm beginning to develop a theory, here it goes...

Prior to MLS, the worldwide synchronization of membership records (most especially their numbering) was a difficult problem. So maybe in an effort to avoid any collisions, the Church assigned certain numbers for the first 3 digits of the record number for each Area or Country (I say perhaps by country because I was born in Salt Lake and my wife in Georgia and we both start with 000). Then after the release of MLS, synchronization became easier to coordinate, so they switched to a numbering system that was more unified worldwide?

To me, there seems to be enough evidence of some kind of a major switch in the paradigm at some determined date in the fairly recent past.
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

Hey, guys, a question:

Can anyone from Member and Statistical Records Division post at the forum how the Church create the membership numbers to its members?

It's a interesting "mistery" that can be good to discover, hehehehehee

So good it!
LR422-p40
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by LR422-p40 »

The record numbers used to represent the different databases they were created in (different areas or countries). However, this is no longer the case. The record numbers are simply created in sequence, and the beginning set of numbers, or the "A" ending the record number have no significance.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

LR422 wrote:The record numbers used to represent the different databases they were created in (different areas or countries). However, this is no longer the case. The record numbers are simply created in sequence, and the beginning set of numbers, or the "A" ending the record number have no significance.
Did this change around the release of MLS?
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

Oh...

No more mistery...

:-(

heheheheheehe :-)

Return to “Membership Help”