Recording a Divorce

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
BenJoeM-p40

Recording a Divorce

Post by BenJoeM-p40 »

Hello All,

Is anyone having problems recording a divorce (civil). I have done a couple of these and never had a problem. but I have one membership record where the member was divorced in 2008 and went in-active. Earlier this year he has re-married and since become VERY active. Our bishop married them and asked me to record the marriage. When I go in to record the marriage it said he was still married to his previous wife. So I went in and attempted to record the divorce, but it never sticks. I have tried about 20 times and sent and received, everything. I still get nothing.

Any ideas as to why this isn't working?

UPDATE: If this needs to be moved to Membership Help, I understand.

BenJoe
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

I don't have experience with membership records (being a finance clerk) but this situation definitely sounds like it warrants a phone call to HQ (or at least a detailed MLS message requesting help). It sounds like there is something weird with the record in question that may not be resolved using regular processes.
BenJoeM-p40

Post by BenJoeM-p40 »

Thanks...

There is some potential problem with the record, but since this member has lived in our ward for years, we assumed we would have known.

I will call HQ and see if they can see anything else.

Thanks.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

I went ahead and moved this to "Membership Help". Please let us know what HQ had to say about your situation.

Thanks,
Mike
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
daddy-o-p40

Post by daddy-o-p40 »

BenJoeM, it may just be a data glitch. Given the circumstances your Bishop will need to call church headquarters about this. It has been my recent experience that membership support needs to talk with a Bishop about these kinds of matters. Hope this helps.
"What have I done for someone today?" Thomas Monson
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

daddy-o wrote:BenJoeM, it may just be a data glitch. Given the circumstances your Bishop will need to call church headquarters about this. It has been my recent experience that membership support needs to talk with a Bishop about these kinds of matters. Hope this helps.
I think I would send an MLS message identifying the member, number, and the information you are trying to update, along with a message that the update is not working.

And, if that doesn't work, the STS could make the call. As long as this is a technical issue, the bishop probably doesn't need to get involved.
lfielding

Re: Recording a Divorce

Post by lfielding »

From the Membership Records Q&A; Recording a Divorce: Procedures
From the member’s information screen, click the Family tab, and then click the pencil icon next to the marriage information. Click the Change Marriage Status button, enter the reason and the date, and click Save.

Return to “Membership Help”