Same sex adoption baby blessing

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
mke627lawson

Same sex adoption baby blessing

Post by mke627lawson »

Hello, still fairly new to the membership calling. So I am reading in circles. I am trying to create a new record for a boy who was blessed this Sunday. The parents are a same sex male married couple. I noticed that the record creation will require a consent form as well. Several issues here. Ty
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re: Same sex adoption baby blessing

Post by Mikerowaved »

Greetings Ty! This is a user-to-user forum, so you might get differing opinions, rather than the doctrine you seek. The proper way is to contact your ward or stake clerk, and if they don't know, have them run the question upline until an answer is obtained.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You may have to contact support on the mechanics of how it's done give that neither parent will be a member (See Handbook 1: 6.7.3.4)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mke627lawson

Post by mke627lawson »

thanks, began the upward consulting.
wwb58

Post by wwb58 »

Hand Book 1. Same sex couples CAN NOT have a child blessed
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

wwb58 wrote:Hand Book 1. Same sex couples CAN NOT have a child blessed
It changed in April. I can't find the announcement in the Newsroom, or Letters, so I'll have to link to NPR.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Here is the Church news release from the Newsroom. See the instructions from President Oaks.
wwb58

Post by wwb58 »

I just checked hand book1 chapter16.13 still says no they can’t.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

wwb58 wrote:I just checked hand book1 chapter16.13 still says no they can’t.
I agree with your interpretation of the Handbook, but looking over Summary of Recent Updates to Handbook 1, it's clear that despite the Handbook being updated in May, the changes announced in April have not yet been incorporated. For some of the past changes, it seems to take about 6 months.

From Newsroom (emphasis added)
Details shared by President Oaks

At the direction of the First Presidency, President Oaks shared that effective immediately, children of parents who identify themselves as lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender may be baptized without First Presidency approval if the custodial parents give permission for the baptism and understand both the doctrine that a baptized child will be taught and the covenants he or she will be expected to make.

A nonmember parent or parents (including LGBT parents) can request that their baby be blessed by a worthy Melchizedek Priesthood holder. These parents need to understand that congregation members will contact them periodically, and that when the child who has been blessed reaches 8 years of age, a Church member will contact them and propose that the child be baptized.
In reviewing the Letters site, I see an a new letter with today's date indicating the Handbook has been updated. So, I suspect we'll see something very shortly.

supersc

Post by supersc »

The HB-1, section 16.13 has not been updated as of today to reflect the April 2019 direction found here:
https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... april-2019

Return to “Membership Help”