Issue with out-of-unit member lookup?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
philman625

Issue with out-of-unit member lookup?

Post by philman625 »

I am attempting to create an out-of-unit record for a young man in our ward who attends mostly in our ward, but per his parent's wishes, his official records should reside in the ward/family with his father and siblings. So I went to create the record, but the record lookup tells me the search results are too broad, but I included his full name *and also* his birthday. I simply can't imagine there are such a high number of young men with his exact name and birthday in the church that they all couldn't be displayed :lol:

Is there a known issue with this lookup, or am I somehow doing something wrong??
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Issue with out-of-unit member lookup?

Post by jdlessley »

Are both units in the same stake? What is the visibility setting for the household?
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
philman625

Post by philman625 »

Both units are not in the same stake.

I'm unclear what you're asking in the second question. Do you mean the household where his record is? If that's the case, I can see both the individual and the whole household when I do a "Move Records In" search, and I can even find the father of the young man in question when doing an out-of-unit "create record" search, but I can't seem to find the boy himself. The site states that the search terms are too broad, even though I'm including his full name and birthday, both of which were verified as correct spellings/data. So I'm pretty stumped.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

How old is he? I'd call the clerk in the other unit. We've had problems before with clerks that confuse a name in the "genealogy" section of the parent's record with "having a membership record". It's possible he doesn't have a membership record.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
philman625

Post by philman625 »

He's 9 years old. He actually has two membership records. We discovered that when the record in our ward was mostly empty (lacking baptism/confirmation date) and the record in his other ward had all those ordinances recorded. So the story is that I sent the record over to the other ward and sent an email to the bishop/clerk of that ward explaining the situation, and that they should merge them (maybe because there's a duplicate record is where this problem lies?) and that I would create an out-of-unit record in our ward. Everything went fine up until the point I attempted to create the record in our ward, and found that the search wasn't finding him at all (even though I can find him in a "Move Records In" search, as I mentioned earlier).

Appreciate your help, by the way.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I think a call to support in in order. They can tell what happened. It's possible the other ward didn't have a clue what to do and did nothing. Perhaps the message is because it's pulling up more than one record.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

russellhltn wrote:I think a call to support in in order. They can tell what happened. It's possible the other ward didn't have a clue what to do and did nothing. Perhaps the message is because it's pulling up more than one record.
I am thinking the same thing. The most logical pointer is to duplicate records.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Membership Help”