Children show under Household but not under Family

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jrwollen

Children show under Household but not under Family

Post by jrwollen »

Children show up in Household but aren't showing up under Family:

How does this happen and what are the steps I need to take in order to correct the situation. Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
davesudweeks

Re: Children show under Household but not under Family

Post by davesudweeks »

If they are showing in the household, you have their membership record and they are "in the household" of the adults. I would look at each child's record and see who the parents are in their "family" tab. If no parents are listed, that is the reason they don't show in the family of the parents.

It is possible they have different parents listed and it is possible the parent names listed are correct but not the same membership # as the actual parents (parents recorded as non-members, for example).

The household tab is the list of individuals living in the same household. The family tab is genealogical information (parent-child relationships).
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

If they don't show up in the Family tab at all (not even as non-members) then you probably just need to add them. But first make absolutely sure that you have the right records for the family. Verify that all the personal information is correct. If you accidentally have records for an unrelated person of the same name, you don't want to link them to the incorrect parents.

Assuming that the records are correct then just go to the Family tab of a parent and click the Add Child link and look up the child's record. You'll need to do this for both parents. Alternatively, you can go to the child's record and edit the parents and lookup their parent's records. Either way should link them correctly.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

davesudweeks wrote:I would look at each child's record and see who the parents are in their "family" tab. If no parents are listed, that is the reason they don't show in the family of the parents.
Before making changes, make sure who the legal parents are. There's a possibility that you're dealing with adopted children where the adoption isn't final. Or, these might children of a prior marriage. You can do whatever you want with "household", but "parents" needs to reflect legal status.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jschnepf

Post by jschnepf »

I'm having a similar problem. We have a recent convert family. They have two children under 8 yrs of age. The children show up under the "Family" tab but dont have any links on their names. They dont show up under the "household" tab and also cannot be found if I search for their names in the "Member List". They literally only show up under the "Family" tab. I have tried clicking on the pencil next to their names to see if there's an option to link them somehow but there isnt anything. I am at a loss at this point and have no clue how to fix this. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jschnepf wrote:We have a recent convert family. They have two children under 8 yrs of age. The children show up under the "Family" tab but dont have any links on their names. They dont show up under the "household" tab and also cannot be found if I search for their names in the "Member List". They literally only show up under the "Family" tab.
Classic. The missionaries documented that the parents have children, but did not create any records for them. You'll need to do that.

There is a process for that, and you'll need the parent's permission.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:There is a process for that, and you'll need the parent's permission.
General Handbook 33.6.2.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:
russellhltn wrote:There is a process for that, and you'll need the parent's permission.
General Handbook 33.6.2.
Yes, there's a more specific process in LCR. It may involve uploading consent forms. I don't have access to check the details.

Biggles

Post by Biggles »

russellhltn wrote:
lajackson wrote:
General Handbook 33.6.2.
Yes, there's a more specific process in LCR. It may involve uploading consent forms. I don't have access to check the details.
That is correct. To create a record a consent form must be signed by a parent/legal guardian as part of the process.

Return to “Membership Help”