Can a clerk (or others) see where records were moved to?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
rolfejr

Can a clerk (or others) see where records were moved to?

Post by rolfejr »

We have a situation where a woman has fled her abusive husband, and is staying with family in our ward. She is very concerned that if we transfer her records, that her husband would be able to find out where the records were transferred to, and find her.

I don't know how long she is planning to stay, to determine whether or not we would really need to transfer her records anyway, but assuming that she would want them transferred at some point, I am just wondering if it would be possible for anyone to look up where the records were transferred to, and if so, who would be able to look that up?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Can a clerk (or others) see where records were moved to?

Post by russellhltn »

I believe only the clerk, membership clerk, assistant clerk, and bishop would have access to that information. I'm basing that on who has access to the "full" membership record. I know members of the ward council have extended access, but I don't know as it includes the move-out report.

The general membership has no access to such information. They'd only know that the record is no longer in the ward.

One possible solution is to contact Support. They might be able to arrange a temporary transfer (Perhaps to "Address Unknown") before transferring it to her new ward. I think that would leave a "false" trail - assuming enough time lapsed between transfers.

Support might also have some tools for dealing with people who shouldn't be found by the normal process. I seriously doubt this is their first rodeo for this kind of thing.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Re: Can a clerk (or others) see where records were moved to?

Post by davesudweeks »

To add to what Russelhltn provided, the only information available to the ward the member left "from" is the unit number of the new ward they went "to." Not their new address and not their new contact information. They would have to contact the new bishop to get the person's contact information (they would be able to see the contact information of the new bishop or branch president only). This information is not available to the general unit membership as I understand.

Return to “Membership Help”