How to do Out-of-Unit Calling?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
Android29

How to do Out-of-Unit Calling?

Post by Android29 »

Hello, I have been called to a YSA High Council. I know, my records should stay in my home ward/stake but, somehow I should be listed as having an Out-of-Unit Calling in a different Stake. For the past several months my records have bounced around between my Home and YSA wards. My calling has now disappeared and I get different stories from everyone I talk to on what should happen.

Currently, my records are in my Home Ward and I do not show as having any callings.

My question: What is the process and who does each step? Home or YSA Stake or Home or YSA Ward?

Does my Home Ward give me a calling in another stake?
Does my YSA Stake give me my calling?
Does my YSA Ward give me my calling?

I would like to be able to tell whoever needs to do which step my records are properly updated and reflect the proper calling etc.

Hope this makes sense. Let me know if you need any other information.

thanks
eblood66

Re: How to do Out-of-Unit Calling?

Post by eblood66 »

Android29 wrote:Does my Home Ward give me a calling in another stake?
No
Android29 wrote:Does my YSA Stake give me my calling?
Yes
Android29 wrote:Does my YSA Ward give me my calling?
No but they may need to add you as a out-of-unit member.

Based on the Access Table in LCR it looks like you have to be added as an out-of-unit member by the YSA ward first and then the stake should be able to enter you in your calling. But I've never entered an out-of-unit stake calling so I could be wrong about that. Hopefully someone with experience can post. However, your YSA stake clerk really should already know about this since I would assume they already have a bunch of out-of-unit callings.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I would refer the stake clerk of the YSA stake to the help center article Out-of-Unit Members and Callings. Once entered, he can give you your calling.

Your home ward retains your records, but does nothing special with them.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Android29

Post by Android29 »

Thanks for the help, I'll pass this along to the clerks in my YSA.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

eblood66 wrote:
The trick here is that the YSA Ward has to add you as an out-of-unit member first, and then the YSA Stake has to give you your stake calling afterward.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

lajackson wrote:
eblood66 wrote:
The trick here is that the YSA Ward has to add you as an out-of-unit member first, and then the YSA Stake has to give you your stake calling afterward.
Actually for out-of-unit stake callings you don't need them as an out-of-unit member. You just need the mrn and name.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jonesrk wrote:Actually for out-of-unit stake callings you don't need them as an out-of-unit member. You just need the mrn and name.
Ok, I wondered how that worked for stake callings.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

Just to make sure we've got the final answer consolidated in one post:

For ward out-of-unit callings (YSA bishop, etc.), the member should be added to the ward as an out-of-unit member and then the position should be added.

For stake out-of-unit callings (YSA stake president, etc.), the member is NOT added as an out-of-unit member. The stake clerk adds the member to the position using the membership record number.

Return to “Membership Help”