Adding 'Jr' to Preferred Name

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
rparker

Adding 'Jr' to Preferred Name

Post by rparker »

I appologize in advance if this is has already been addressed; I didn't find anything similar in a preliminary search through the forum.

I've been asked to add 'Jr.' to a record so it shows as such on all lists, forms and reports. In checking the record, 'Jr.' is already present on the Full Name field as a suffix. However, there is no place to enter a suffix on Preferred Name. I suppose I could manually enter it into the First and Middle Name(s) field, or the Last Name(s) field, but this seems as though it is more an oversight in development of the form.

Thoughts?

Rick Parker
Ward Clerk
San Antonio, TX
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RickParker wrote: I've been asked to add 'Jr.' to a record so it shows as such on all lists, forms and reports. In checking the record, 'Jr.' is already present on the Full Name field as a suffix. However, there is no place to enter a suffix on Preferred Name. I suppose I could manually enter it into the First and Middle Name(s) field, or the Last Name(s) field, but this seems as though it is more an oversight in development of the form.
In the vast majority of places in MLS where a name is displayed, it is in the form of "Last, First Middle" so it seems that your best option is to put it in the First/Middle name field. There will be a few places where the name will then show up as Joseph Jr. Smith, but that seems preferable to almost always seeing Smith Jr., Joseph.

I doubt it's simply an oversight in the form; rather I would guess that the MLS database is missing the field. That is much harder to correct. But regardless of where the oversight is, it does seem like it should be corrected. With the current functionality, there is no way to enter the suffix in a way that is displayed properly everywhere.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

Alan_Brown wrote: I doubt it's simply an oversight in the form; rather I would guess that the MLS database is missing the field. That is much harder to correct. But regardless of where the oversight is, it does seem like it should be corrected. With the current functionality, there is no way to enter the suffix in a way that is displayed properly everywhere.

Those of us who have a "Jr." in own names, unfortunately, are used to having our names mangled by those who design forms and databases.
danpass

Post by danpass »

boomerbubba wrote:Those of us who have a "Jr." in own names, unfortunately, are used to having our names mangled by those who design forms and databases.
boomerbubba Jr. ? ;)

Return to “Membership Help”