Format old PC before turning in to Facilities

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

rbeede wrote:Some old PCs are repurposed (ex: FHC).

That is not an option, according to the Policies and Guidelines for Computers Used by Clerks for Church Record Keeping. The only option mentioned is working with the FM group to dispose of the hardware.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
rbeede

Post by rbeede »

aebrown wrote:That is not an option, according to the Policies and Guidelines for Computers Used by Clerks for Church Record Keeping. The only option mentioned is working with the FM group to dispose of the hardware.

The question was in regards as to what may happen after turning it over to the FM group. The FM group may re-purpose the machine for the FHC.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rbeede wrote:The question was in regards as to what may happen after turning it over to the FM group. The FM group may re-purpose the machine for the FHC.

Absent any directive from above, I doubt if that's an option for the local FM group. But it may happen at higher levels.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

RussellHltn wrote:Absent any directive from above, I doubt if that's an option for the local FM group. But it may happen at higher levels.
Don't know what level approved it, but it indeed happened last year in our stake.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote:Don't know what level approved it, but it indeed happened last year in our stake.

Was this to trade out existing but older FHC machines? I can see that happening.

Just to add, prior guidelines made if very clear that repurposing of computers (or hand-me-downs) could not be used to increase the count of FHC machines. It appears the only way to do that and stay in policy is though qualified donations.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

RussellHltn wrote:Was this to trade out existing but older FHC machines? I can see that happening.
Yes, it was. The older FHC machines were turned into the FM group for disposal.
bfromm

Post by bfromm »

KeithWilson wrote:ON a side note, what happens to the 5 year old PCs that are turned into the FM group?
The FM group turns the machines into a company that disposes of them properly. We have to make sure Church-owned machines go through proper disposal so that they don't end up in a landfill. This is one of the reasons we don't have a policy to re-purpose machines, and it gets rid of the liability.

Return to “Clerk Computers”