SSID Changing?

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re: SSID Changing?

Post by Mikerowaved »

bartj wrote:
Mikerowaved wrote:I'm more curious if there's a limit to the number of devices I can register in this group.
Currently there is a limit of 15 devices per building that can be registered.
Thanks for keeping the forum updated with your knowledge of the change. Currently TM is setup to only register active MAC addresses from a drop-down list. (You can't enter a known MAC address.) I assume it's getting the information from the DHCP pool of active leases. It would be helpful in some cases to be able to register a device in all the buildings without waiting for it to show up. For example, we will likely have several MiBox S receivers in the near future and they may not go to the same building each time they're used. Registering each of them for all the buildings in one shot would save a lot of running around.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote:For example, we will likely have several MiBox S receivers in the near future and they may not go to the same building each time they're used.
Hopefully, you're connecting them via wire, not wireless. From what I can tell, the sign in requirement doesn't apply to wired devices.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

russellhltn wrote:
Mikerowaved wrote:For example, we will likely have several MiBox S receivers in the near future and they may not go to the same building each time they're used.
Hopefully, you're connecting them via wire, not wireless. From what I can tell, the sign in requirement doesn't apply to wired devices.
A better example would be my SP would like his phone to auto-connect when at any of the stake buildings.
bartj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by bartj »

FYI - Here detailed information on MHTech - https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/hel ... m?lang=eng
ramonc

Post by ramonc »

Wanting to connect Chromecast to Liahona. The note in step 7 "Find a device" says "Devices need to be connected to Liahona for several minutes before they will display in the Dropdown" If I never get the prompt to key in the password for Liahona because of the splash screen, how do I get it connected to Liahona so it can find the mac address to add it to Nosplash?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ramonc wrote:The note in step 7 "Find a device" says "Devices need to be connected to Liahona for several minutes before they will display in the Dropdown" If I never get the prompt to key in the password for Liahona because of the splash screen, how do I get it connected to Liahona so it can find the mac address to add it to Nosplash?
The device is already connected at the IP level. It's just blocked from communicating to the outside world. In fact, the splash screen is sent via the connection.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

rbeede

Post by rbeede »

The new password has already been published by a news site on the Internet. https://www.thechurchnews.com/members/2 ... ies-174943

If the Church is going to use captive portals for click agreements they could have stuck with just an open (passwordless) network to make it easier.

I personally do not like captive portals due to the headache they add for getting devices setup. It is a shame that openwireless.org never became popular.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

rbeede wrote:The new password has already been published by a news site on the Internet. https://www.thechurchnews.com/members/2 ... ies-174943
By a Church-sponsored news site, no less... Interesting.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
ccanlas3
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by ccanlas3 »

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/hel ... m?lang=eng

Registering Devices in Technology Manager - Step by Step Checklist

Access to the Liahona wireless network requires users to accept the Terms of Use (i.e. splash page) that emphasizes the purposes of Church-provided internet access. Users are required to accept this splash page once per day at every building they visit.

The splash page will only be presented to users that are connected to the Meraki wireless access points. Some facilities have old Church approved Cisco or other non-approved access points installed in their buildings. These devices will not display the splash page and should be replaced with the Meraki access points. The old Church approved Cisco access points (models 1041 and 702) will no longer be supported after March 1, 2020.

Please note that many wireless devices (such as network printers) don’t support a ‘click-through’ experience to accept the Terms of Use. For these devices to function in the new environment, they must be registered in Technology Manager (TM).

Registering A Device in Technology Manager

Step 1: Identify the device that must connect wirelessly to the internet through to the network and does not support a “click-through” to the splash page. In the device Wi-Fi Settings, “forget” the LDSAccess network.

Step 2: Connect the device to the Liahona wireless network (Password: alma3738).

Step 3: Collect the device MAC address. If you have questions, please consult the device’s user manual or search the internet for information related to locating the MAC address for a specific device. The Global Service Department (GSD) will be unable to assist in finding device MAC addresses.

Step 4: Sign into Technology Manager (tm.ChurchofJesusChrist.org) using your Church account.

Step 5: Select the building/property the device needs to be registered at by clicking the firewall serial number associated to the property.

Step 6: Once the Firewall Details screen is displayed, Click the vertical-ellipses icon on the far right side of the screen. Then select “Group Policy Manager.”

Step 7: In the “Find A Device” section of Group Policy Manger, use the “MAC Address” drop-down menu to select the device you wish to register.

Note: Devices need to be connected to Liahona for several minutes before they will display in the dropdown. Only devices connected to Liahona will display in the dropdown.

Step 8: Add a descriptive device name under “Name” that will help identify the device in the future.

Step 9: Select “NoSplash” from Group Policy dropdown.

Step 10: Click “Save.” Devices successfully added to the group policy will immediately appear on the page with the information entered. Test the device to ensure it is working properly on the Liahona network. Note: It will take several minutes after applying the group policy before the device will begin bypassing the splash page.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rbeede wrote:I personally do not like captive portals due to the headache they add for getting devices setup. It is a shame that openwireless.org never became popular.
According to the letter sent: "This agreement helps manage available bandwidth by reminding users of the network’s intended purpose and
by preventing unintentional use by devices performing automatic functions (such as updates) when connected to wi-fi upon entry to a Church building."

Given the amount of traffic I see going to Apple.com, those updates may be pretty significant.

I don't remember where I read it, but in some cases, nearby businesses where handing out the password to their customers. This should put a damper on that. It won't stop willful abuse, but it will expose the act to others.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”