Wall mounting of the ASA5505

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
rmaughan

Wall mounting of the ASA5505

Post by rmaughan »

Just curious what others are doing for mounting their ASA5505 -- are you just sticking it on a shelf? It doesn't come with holes in the bottom to easily mount to the wall. I did find this link that shows details about a "wall mount kit" that can be purchased for about $80:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/securit ... #wp1045730

I'd really like to mount this unit on the wall.

Thanks.

Rob
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Just use 2 strips of metal or plastic "plumber's tape" and you can mount it to whatever you wish. I would mount it so the side vents are on the top and bottom to help promote some convection cooling.

Mike
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
resimon3

Post by resimon3 »

I mounted the ASA to a block wall by purchasing two "L" brackets from the hardware store and two plastic wall anchors for the block wall. I anchored the brackets to the wall and screwed a small wooden shelf on top of the brackets. It works nicely.
james_francisco

Post by james_francisco »

In the building that our stake opened this spring, I asked the FM group to put a shelf next to the panel for the ethernet connections in the building. The ASA5505 and all the other associated hardware sits on that shelf.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

A shelf is a nice way to go, just a couple of things to remember; the ASA gets quite warm and if possible, you should avoid stacking other pieces of gear directly on it or under it. It also needs the side vents clear, so try to avoid putting gear right next to it as well.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
randysteck-p40

Make a simple bracket

Post by randysteck-p40 »

After researching this exact question, I found that Cisco sells a metal mountin bracket, but they want $70 for it. So, I made brackets for the three ASA firewalls we had to install. Pretty easy really, just a piece of 1/4" plywood cut to the same size as the unit. Remove the three screws on the back, drill holes at those locations, and mount the plywood to the back with longer screws. You'll need to find a source for M3 screws and 20mm long works well. I counter-sunk the heads to give a flat surface. Before mounting, drill mounting holes in 4 corners of the plywood and elongate them so they can be slipped over the heads of mounter screws in the wall. Set the screws in the wall using the bracket before mounting the bracket on the ASA unit. After attaching the bracket, slip the unit over the heads and slide to engage the screws. Worked very well and looks "clean".

I ended up mounting the unti sideways since it made cable access to our punch panel easier.

Randy
rknelson

Velcro is simple, cheap and effective

Post by rknelson »

I used $1.99 worth of commercial style heavy duty velcro from the local home store. Use scissors to cut 2 each 3" x 3/4" strips of the self-adhesive velcro. Attach the strips on the back where it won't block anything important (labels, etc), and stick it on the wall. It's held fine without any problems and you can pull it off the wall if needed.
Enigma1-p40

Post by Enigma1-p40 »

rknelson wrote:I used $1.99 worth of commercial style heavy duty velcro from the local home store. Use scissors to cut 2 each 3" x 3/4" strips of the self-adhesive velcro. Attach the strips on the back where it won't block anything important (labels, etc), and stick it on the wall. It's held fine without any problems and you can pull it off the wall if needed.
be careful that this does not fall seeing as how this is roughly a $500 piece of hardware. :)
dkcook2-p40

One vote for Plastic Plumbers strapping

Post by dkcook2-p40 »

I've recently tried both the plumbing strap method outlined and the Velcro. The plumbing strap is more secure. One of the two Velcro straps came loose on the plywood communication board we were using. It was not as secure and we added plastic plumbing straps over the top.
mamadsen

Post by mamadsen »

We used 2 full velcro straps around the ASA unit, securing the backside of the velcro to the wall with grabber screws. We have about 3 inches of overlap on the velcro and it works great.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”