Wireless/AirPrint printing from iOS and android devices

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
harddrive

Re: Wireless/AirPrint printing from iOS and android devices

Post by harddrive »

This comes back to some one else trying to print to a family history printer. Are you using a name for the printer or are you going directly to the IP address of the printer. The potential problem is the you aren't getting the printer name resolved to an IP address. I would also set the printer to a static IP address so that doesn't change.
nelsonfam
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by nelsonfam »

To echo the comments from previous posters, as long as your client device (phone, pc, laptop) are on the same IP segment as the printer, you will be able to print.

Clients residing on the 192.168.108.0 /22 network on LDSAccess or Hardwired can share and use resources freely since it will not traverse any of the defined access lists on the firewall.

With that being said, I had to enable AIRPrint on the menu of my printer to get it working in my home.

Here is a snip of the VLAN1_ACL that is applied to all clients that go through the firewall. The only thing that we restrict is the DNS server you are allowed to use so that we can enforce filtering policies and the 192.X network cannot use services on the Family History Center 10.X networks.. After that we have a "permit ip 192.168.0.0 0.0.255.255 any" meaning that we allow a wireless or wired user to do anything else.

ip access-list extended VLAN1_ACL
remark PERMIT ICMP
permit icmp any any
remark PERMIT DHCP
permit udp any any eq bootps bootpc
remark PERMIT MH POLICY
permit udp any host 8.34.34.92 eq domain
permit udp any host 8.35.35.92 eq domain
remark DENY all other DNS Servers
deny udp any any eq domain
remark DENY all other USERS to 10.X Services
deny ip 192.168.0.0 0.0.255.255 10.0.0.0 0.255.255.255
.....<some info removed>
remark PERMIT all USER to INTERNET TRAFFIC
permit ip 192.168.0.0 0.0.255.255 any
remark DENY and log all non matching traffic
deny ip any any log
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

In the case of iOS 9, you might want to disable "WiFi Assist". What it does is switch your phone to your cellular plan if the wifi signal is weak. Needless to say, you're not going to be able to print if that happens.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
michaelcox

Post by michaelcox »

We have our Clerks Office printer connected to the network and use AirPrint to it all the time without any difficulty. From a Command Prompt are you able to ping it.

Something not directly related to AirPrint, but that I might suggest would make sense to statically assign the printer one of the static IP addresses from http://tm.lds.org.
pete.arnett

Wireless printing from iOS and android devices for CLR

Post by pete.arnett »

Please advise how to do a "CTRL + P" to print the recommend using Chrome and Firefox on IOS and Android

See the print process in the new "Leader and Clerk Resources Issuing Limited-Use Recommends"
https://www.lds.org/help/support/lcr-is ... s?lang=eng

Limited-Use Recommends went live in our area on 15Apr2016
michaelcox

Post by michaelcox »

On iOS you would select the box with the arrow in it and then print.
cdraney

Post by cdraney »

I was able to accomplish this by adding an AirPrint compatible print server to our church supplied printer and setting a static IP address of 192.168.108.10.
It's working well, so far, for us.
pete.arnett

Limited-Use Recommends App

Post by pete.arnett »

the Limited-Use Recommends app creates a PDF file
lclaussen

Post by lclaussen »

Has anyone tried to install the AirPrint service for windows on their clerk's computer? The provided printers do not have AirPrint available through the device and I'm looking at this as a possible solution for my stake. Any suggestions?
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

lclaussen

If you have the printer hooked to the network and it has an IP address, all you need to do is to install the correct print driver and create a port to the IP address. Then point the printer driver to the newly created port and enjoy printing. There is no need for AirPrint or anything like that on a Windows computer.

Terry

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”