Obtaining the Cisco ASA 5505 units

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
johnsco-p40

Obtaining the Cisco ASA 5505 units

Post by johnsco-p40 »

We are in the process of setting up each of our Ward Buildings with the Internet. According to the documentation the Church is providing the Firewall units (Cisco ASA 5505).
I understand we need to order those from ldscatalog.org.
Problem: when I drill down to the ordering page I am asked for a Unit Number and password. The Unit Numbers I know (Stake and Wards). According to the telephone message a password will be or has been sent to the Bishops of the wards. I speak with each Bishop in our Stake and they have no idea what I am talking about.
Questions:
1. Can someone let me know what is the quickest and best way to optain passwords so I can order the Firewall Units?
2. Am I going to have to make a request per ward (we have 11 of them)?
3. Does anyone know if the Cisco ASA 5505 functions as a router as well as a Firewall?

I have made a couple of telephone calls to the number listed on the authenication page. However, I have not received an communication back from the Church.

Looking for help on this one
Thanks in Advance

Johnsco
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

If you follow the instructions and links found HERE, I believe it should answer most of your questions, including obtaining a password.

Yes, the Cisco ASA 5505 is a router/firewall with a built-in 8-port wired switch.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnsco-p40

Post by johnsco-p40 »

Thanks for the response.
Yes, I knew about this documentation and procedure. I have called that telephone number with no joy. I was just wondering if there is an alternative route to obtain a password?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

johnsco wrote:Questions:
1. Can someone let me know what is the quickest and best way to optain passwords so I can order the Firewall Units?
2. Am I going to have to make a request per ward (we have 11 of them)?
Don't bother trying to get ward passwords for this situation. The funding of internet hardware and recurring costs for internet connections is the responsibility of the stake. Your stake clerk should be able to order the firewalls for you. He should have the password since he orders other catalog items. The ASA 5505's will be shipped to the stake president's residence for stake catalog orders.
johnsco wrote:3. Does anyone know if the Cisco ASA 5505 functions as a router as well as a Firewall?
It is a security appliance that has quite a few features beyond just routing and firewall functions. You can read all about it at Cisco's web site.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”