Additional Information in Future FamilySearch

Discussions about using and improving the new FamilySearch online application.
jscrockett

Additional Information in Future FamilySearch

Post by jscrockett »

(This is a cross-posted comment from the 7/20/09 blog post at http://labs.familysearch.org/blog/?p=130 )

Question — the labs.familysearch.org paragraph introducing Family Tree says:

“Users of the Family Tree collectively and collaboratively organize information into its appropriate node on this shared tree. Ultimately, each node will be a folder containing or linking to all known information for an individual.”

Does this imply that there will eventually be facility for including additional information about a person, such as a brief life sketch, or that a certain person served in xyz war, or that more photographs of a person’s medieval manor are available at xyz web address, or that the birth location was at xyz lat/long coordinates?

I assume that the church’s web servers are not intended to serve as the “wikipedia” of family history — though I would certainly be glad if there were such a resource!

I have been hoping that somebody familiar with the development roadmap could clarify the “all known information” statement — most likely just to confirm that my assumption is correct.

Thank you.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I have not kept up with the details of FamilySearch development. However, they are moving in the direction of adding sources so that you can link to the source documents. I suspect this is the bases of the "all known information" statement.

They also support partners and allowing the partners to interact with the database. So potentially though a partner you can add more information (to the partner's site) and yet be connected with the FamilySearch database.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jscrockett

Similar Idea

Post by jscrockett »

Thank you for the response. A related idea is described in http://ancestryinsider.blogspot.com/200 ... oject.html, but of course the roadmap is uncertain.

Return to “FamilySearch Family Tree Application”