why is familysearch.org not using LDS Accounts?

Discussions about using and improving the new FamilySearch online application.
nayand-p40

why is familysearch.org not using LDS Accounts?

Post by nayand-p40 »

Going to happen anytime soon?
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

nayand wrote:Going to happen anytime soon?
I think one of the biggest holdups (at least originally) was that LDSAccount is only being opened to members of the Church. But I think it is designed to eventually allow non-members to create LDSAccounts.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mkmurray wrote:I think one of the biggest holdups (at least originally) was that LDSAccount is only being opened to members of the Church. But I think it is designed to eventually allow non-members to create LDSAccounts.
LDS Account already allows nonmembers to obtain an account (and has for quite some time). So that by itself is not a limitation.

My assumption is that migrating accounts to the new LDS Account system is in the plans, but other efforts have been a higher priority.
ajames

Looks like this is happening

Post by ajames »

If you go to FamilySearch Wiki (http://wiki.familysearch.org), you will notice that they are starting to have a single FamilySearch login so that eventually you won't have a seperate login for FamilySearch Wiki, FamilySearch.org, New FamilySearch, etc.

When registering for a new login, members of the Church are directed to use their LDSAccount user information, so it looks like this is already being implemented, and is just going through the process of making it to all FamilySearch sites.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

You can see a demo on how to register for an LDS Account there, plus the demo forks so you can see how nonmembers register for what will be known as a 'FamilySearch Account'.

There were glitches, partly because they began the migration over during the holidays, so the people needed to fix the glitches weren't there when they were needed, but that has now all been resolved, and as soon as it was, they created the registration demos.

If you are already using LDS Account to sign into the wiki, and you want to see the registration demos, simply be sure you are not signed in and you should see a link to the demos. That link disappears once you log in, however, it is always available if you are not logged in.

I'm also hearing that they are planning, and soon (relatively speaking) to begin migrating nFS and FamilySearch Indexing accounts to LDS Accounts. It is important to be sure nFS and LDS Accounts work correctly so once they are ready to release to the world, new users can register and log in. Last I have heard, that rollout to the rest of the world won't happen until the Asia area temples have nFS. consultant.familysearch.org indicates that consultants there are already able to log in, see the note on the right side of that page, where the 'Utah and Idaho' rollout page used to be.
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

As a Support Missionary, we received today official informations of the migration of FamilySearch systems to LDS Account (nicknamed FamilySearch Account inside Family History Department). New FamilySearch, FamilySearch Indexing, FamilySearch Wiki and FamilySearch Record Search will be moved to LDS Account during this month. In March 1st, 2010, people will not be able to login in these systems without an LDS Account (or FamilySearch Account). This is one of the steps to receive non-members at the system.

All members will be asked to create or merge your credentials with an LDS Account when try to access this systems.
iknovate

Members and Non-Members

Post by iknovate »

Perhaps there should be some notification that the audience for which we will be interacting will be 'mixed'. I might attempt to word something differently knowing that there is a mixed audience than not (esp. a courtesy email I send out where I see relatives adding records that have already been submitted hundreds of times). I would know not to reference comments like "your Ward Family History representative".
zaneclark

No more confirmation date?

Post by zaneclark »

I just received this from LDS.org...

"FamilySearch is now integrated with LDS Account and FamilySearch account."

Does this mean we will use the birth date and no longer use the confirmation date to register? If they register for an LDS account, can they use that login for both the LUWS and NFS?
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

zaneclark wrote:I just received this from LDS.org...

"FamilySearch is now integrated with LDS Account and FamilySearch account."

Does this mean we will use the birth date and no longer use the confirmation date to register? If they register for an LDS account, can they use that login for both the LUWS and NFS?
[font=&quot][/font]The new registration and sign-in. FamilySearch is now integrated with LDS Account and FamilySearch account. This means that users will eventually have only one user name and password for all FamilySearch accounts (including Record Search, Research wiki, etc.) or for all LDS Accounts (this is for LDS Church members and includes FamilySearch sites and ward and stake Web sites).

The above notice was included with an Email providing information on the next Beta test of NFS. The Beta test is checking not only NFS but the new logon as well. The important word in the above quote is "EVENTUALLY" indicating that at some future time the LDS account will be used for all LDS accounts.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

Techgy wrote:The above notice was included with an Email providing information on the next Beta test of NFS. The Beta test is checking not only NFS but the new logon as well. The important word in the above quote is "EVENTUALLY" indicating that at some future time the LDS account will be used for all LDS accounts.
[/color]
I did read that but I guess I was hoping the word "now" trumped "eventually." (See below.) I'll just have to be patient......

"The new registration and sign-in. FamilySearch is NOW integrated with LDS Account and FamilySearch account. This means that users will EVENTUALLY have only one user name and......"

Return to “FamilySearch Family Tree Application”