Family History Activity Report - Is there another granular report?

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
lioy2k

Family History Activity Report - Is there another granular report?

Post by lioy2k »

I have found the current Family History Activity Report to be too general as it only reports general on certain familysearch activities. Also it only just reports on "new" names submitted. I really want a report to show how many ordinances that my ward (or even stake level) have completed (eg. how many baptisms, confirmations, initiatories, endowments, sealings, etc..). Recently we took our Ward Youth for temple baptisms and we did 140+ names, we also completed initiatories for all of them. These names were not temple names, but ones each ward family member got from their family trees.

So I was wondering if there is any access or report that would give more granular statistics for a ward or a stake please?

In Leader and Clerk Resources they just rolled a new feature called "Create a Report" in which clerks can actually create their own custom reports and query the Membership database in their Stake (eg find out who is married, endowed but not sealed, etc...) - it is this kind of reporting access that I am looking for in FamilySearch for our own ward or stake. Would this be possible? Would the temple recorder have this access just to request for stats our ward has made periodically.

thanks
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Family History Activity Report - Is there another granular report?

Post by russellhltn »

I don't believe it's possible and I doubt if there's any interest in creating such a report. (Personal opinion alert!) The number of ordinances are not a good indicator. The reports are geared toward finding out how many members are involved in Family History work.

The first problem with numbers is a few people could be submitting a large number of names and hiding the fact that very few members in the ward are involved. The reports could easily say how many were submitted, but instead it says how many members submitted at least one in the past x months. Having done some programming, that's far harder a report to create.

The other problem with numbers is it tends to reward those who do sloppy research and fail to merge duplicates. I've lost count of the number of times I've added a name, but after adding sources I found it was a duplicate. I should add that I'm an only member in my family, and yet I found a number of my relatives were already done due to name extraction. I know I'm not alone in saying I cringe when I read stories in the Ensign about how someone magically found hundreds of names to take to the temple. Unless we talking about some other country, like China, I don't think that's possible without a massive duplication of effort.

Lastly, I'll point out that while leadership encourages members to set personal goals, they are forbidden in creating any report of temple attendance or set any quotas in that regard. (Handbook 1:3.2.3) I don't think it's far off to suggest that same concept could extend to Family History names.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lioy2k

Re: Family History Activity Report - Is there another granular report?

Post by lioy2k »

Thank you very much russelhltn for the insightful post. I think I rest my case. I think I did come across that bit in the Handbook but couldnt remember it until you mentioned it so I think thats enough for me to know not to pursue this aspect. I guess the point is to involve as many people as possible to do their own work and work on their own family trees.
Also, thank you for pointing out what the report actually reports on - number of members who submitted "at least 1 name" or 'a' name. So it doesnt report on the number of names per person but just how many members who submitted a name. I totally had the wrong assumption.
Need to wrap my head around what you shared.
I agree 100% with the many existing duplication on the system and the need to emphasize to FH Consultants and members to actually search first and verify/validate if their names exist rather than create first.
thanks heaps for this. Appreciate the info.

Return to “Family History”