Strategy for playing "Come, Follow me"

Discussions on how emerging technology can assist the distribution of media content through mobile, kiosks, Internet, social networks, etc.
drepouille

Re: Strategy for playing "Come, Follow me"

Post by drepouille »

I looked for all information on our new LG 32LD452B TV, and it doesn't look like there is any way for it to play videos. It only supports picture files and music files, but no videos. I thought I might be able to update its firmware by connecting its RJ-45 jack to a live port in the stake center. However, there does not appear to be any way to update its firmware.
Dana
tomjoht

Post by tomjoht »

Did you try with both DVD-R and DVD+R?
I used a DVD-R. 120 min, 1x-16x compatible, 4.7 GB DVD. I burned 2 DVDs -- one at a regular speed (can't remember exactly what), the other at 2x.

Have you successfully burned DVDs that work in your meetinghouse DVD player?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:I looked for all information on our new LG 32LD452B TV, and it doesn't look like there is any way for it to play videos.
Agreed. There is no firmware update and the manual specifically calls out that model as not being able to play movies from "My Media". The jack in the back says it's for connecting to some other LG device and may not be a Ethernet port.

So let that be a warning to anyone looking to buy a TV - just because it has a USB port doesn't mean it can play videos that way.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

johnsonth wrote:Have you successfully burned DVDs that work in your meetinghouse DVD player?
Yes. Usually burned with a DVD Recorder, but I (and others) have supplied a DVD that worked in the player. Of course some people have also met with disappointment - usually because they didn't understand the difference between a data DVD and video DVD.

But I've not used that Toshiba player. You might look up that model and see if it supports burnable media at all. I don't think the burnable media has the same reflective as the stamped mass-produced disks, so the old unit sometimes can't play it. And it may depend on the media as well, since some has a higher reflective then others.

Which brings up another question - what brand of media did you use? I'm very partial to Verbatim. Other brands may or may not work. IMO, store brands should be given to the youth to use for decorations.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
tomjoht

Post by tomjoht »

I think you've pinpointed the problem: I don't think I used the right kind of DVD. The combo player is a Toshiba LCD TV/DVD Combination model no. 19LV610. On page 8 of the user manual (online here: http://static.highspeedbackbone.net/pdf ... u_om_e.pdf), it says that the DVD has to display one of the following imprinted marks:
playablediscs.png
(135.55 KiB) Downloaded 427 times
I just grabbed a few DVDs from our supply room. They're Staples DVDs and they don't bear any of the required marks, so I assume they are data DVDs.

Interestingly, though, the DVDs I burned worked in a higher end meetinghouse DVD player:
photo (1).JPG
photo (1).JPG (22.22 KiB) Viewed 1672 times
I'll have to try burning a new DVD this time using the right kind of DVD.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

johnsonth wrote:I think you've pinpointed the problem: I don't think I used the right kind of DVD. The combo player is a Toshiba LCD TV/DVD Combination model no. 19LV610. On page 8 of the user manual (online here: http://static.highspeedbackbone.net/pdf ... u_om_e.pdf), it says that the DVD has to display one of the following imprinted marks:
playablediscs.png
You left the bottom of that table out. It says that it does support DVD-R discs so that isn't the problem.
johnsonth wrote:I just grabbed a few DVDs from our supply room. They're Staples DVDs and they don't bear any of the required marks, so I assume they are data DVDs.
From my experience there is a very big variation in blank disc quality. Low quality discs will often not work in low end DVD players. In addition, low quality discs will have a high burn failure rate (often > 50%). And store brand DVDs are almost always very low quality.

I've had good results with Verbatim and Maxell. Sony is sometimes good. Unfortunately, even within a single brand the quality can vary depending on who actually manufactured the disc.

See this link for more information on blank media quality: http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

It's possible that if your DVD's are being created in any format other than NTSC 480i (for those in the US), those older combo TV/DVD sets and even some of the very early DVD players might choke trying to play them. When many of these were first sold, there was nothing other than 480i in existence.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

johnsonth wrote:I think you've pinpointed the problem: I don't think I used the right kind of DVD.
If you're talking about DVD-Video vs DVD-ROM, that's a function of how they are burned by the computer. Sort of like the differnce between FAT and NTFS. Some devices will read both, some don't.
johnsonth wrote:They're Staples DVDs
That's probably the problem. Also make sure they are DVD-R. Since it's not mentioned, I doubt if that unit can read DVD+R regardles of how the disk is formatted.

drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Great. I just ordered a 100-stack of Staples DVDs.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

If it makes you feel any better, I've never used Staples DVDs. Don't even have that store in my area. I just avoid "store brand" on principle. You'd think that DVD media would be a commodity item and it works well in all devices - but that's just not been my experience.

Return to “Digital Media”