AirPlay

Discussions on how emerging technology can assist the distribution of media content through mobile, kiosks, Internet, social networks, etc.
craiggsmith

AirPlay

Post by craiggsmith »

Someone in our stake wants to show the Come Follow Me videos by connecting an iPad to an Apple TV via AirPlay, which is connected to the monitor via cable. He said he couldn't get it working at the church. This building has an ASA 5505 firewall and Open-Mesh wireless devices. I have no idea how the wireless is configured and have no access to it, and don't have an iPad or Apple TV so am struggling to help him. Is there some particular router configuration that is needed for this?

He mentioned that he wants to use the mirroring functionality, but from what I could find it sounded like the streaming mode should work as well.

If this is not the best forum for this please let me know.

Thanks.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: AirPlay

Post by russellhltn »

I'm guessing that his devices expect to communicate to each other via his home router. That's not going to work too well when he's out of range of home. And I wouldn't rely on the church wireless network, as it could assign IPs that are not in the same subnet and not easily able to talk to one another.

Hopefully someone knows how to set them up "direct" so as not to use the church network.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Yeah, in some buildings we have more than one subnet. I'll have to meet him up there sometime and see what I can figure it out.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

It's the Bonjour discovery service that has issues, it is designed for a typical home scenario where one network exists. I have had to work around having 2 user zones in our stake center with a different solution that also uses this discovery methodology.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
lockmup68

Post by lockmup68 »

just get an HDMI or VGA dongle for the iPad direct connect to projector. Do not have to have an AppleTV to connect to projector.

HTH,
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

My guess is that this is already something the person can do. The reason to use AirPlay is likely to un-tether, allowing an instructor to use his notes play a video, walk around, interact with the audience, etc... but yes, hooking up a wire is always an option to play the video.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Yes, our instructions have been that they need to obtain the appropriate adapter, but he didn't feel like that was the best solution. In this case not so much because of the need to be mobile but apparently just because different devices use different adapters or something like that. I haven't had a chance to get with him again on this issue yet.

We were going to buy some adapters as a stake but then got a new stake presidency so are awaiting approval.
JonesRC
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by JonesRC »

I use the Apple TV and Airplay from my iPad in my Gospel Doctrine class. I need to see how our wifi is set up to answer appropriately in regards to your issue. I love the flexibility of NOT being physically attached to the TV. I use video, pictures, audio, and jpg slides I export out of keynote. I can stand at the front of the class with my iPad, that I also use for reading my lesson plan from, and move between the different apps with gestures to access all the related media I prepared for the lesson. I like how quick and easy it is to use without interruption. There are also multiple apps that allow other tablets to access the Airplay feature of Apple TV. I am finding there are a lot of creative ways to use existing technology to show videos from personal devices.
chmsant

Post by chmsant »

We have an Apple TV for our stake center and have a few issues as well. The unit is not able to set it's internal clock or check for updates because of the fact that it sits behind the firewall. Nothing you can't get out of, but it's slightly annoying and I keep getting calls from members whenever they see it.

It would be nice if the tech group would use a less strict lens when deciding which services/sites to block.

CS

Return to “Digital Media”