Mormon Channel for the Roku Channel Store

Discussions on how emerging technology can assist the distribution of media content through mobile, kiosks, Internet, social networks, etc.
JonesRC
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by JonesRC »

jribble wrote:Mormon Channel is new to video and they are finding that much of what they planned to put online they can't because of licensing issues.
Thank you Jarrod for that explanation. It is true that there are issues with clearing material for playback on each device that we supply with content. It does make it difficult at times to make content readily available as fast as we would like. This process is being looked into and I'm confident that in a short time a resolution will be reached to more content accessible in a quicker fashion.
JonesRC
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by JonesRC »

scott793992 wrote:Music and the Spoken Word would be a GREAT addition to a ROKU channel! I love this idea!
We are in discussions to make this content available. We are crossing our fingers to. Thanks for the great suggestion.
JonesRC
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by JonesRC »

We have released the Mormon Channel on the Roku Box. We have had some great beta testers and received some good feedback and ideas. Please visit http://www.mormonchannel.org for additional information or find the Mormon Channel on your Roku Box in the Channel Store. Feel free to give us feedback on the channel and any ideas that you feel will help make it better.
srweight

Post by srweight »

Roku really works great! Mormon Channel is wonderful. BYUtv Beta is also great. I would Love to see Music and the Spoken Word on it too. Wondering about getting and using the Roku DXS for older TVs in church buildings using a common Roku account so that all the Ruko boxes would have the same content.
JonesRC
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by JonesRC »

srweight wrote:I would Love to see Music and the Spoken Word on it too. Wondering about getting and using the Roku DXS for older TVs in church buildings using a common Roku account so that all the Ruko boxes would have the same content.
We are working to get Music and the Spoken Word on the Roku Mormon Channel. There are IP issues with Music that make it a little tricky but there is high interest to see it there.

Also, there is a joint effort between ICS and MSD to develop the Roku Box as a potential meetinghouse device. In the next few months there will be testing done on the box to see how it will work in a meetinghouse environment.

Happy to hear the channel is working great for you.
srweight

Post by srweight »

I can really see it as a standard item with the TVs and projectors in our stake buildings, a common account would sync all of them. It would also be great if we could use it for Meetinghouse broadcasting! No Laptop or Desk Top required. That would need a way to connect to streams.lds.org in someway. Really can see using BYUtv scriptures in class - the pause button would work really well for discussion and Mormon Messages in class too - in fact there is more media than can be justified to use in classes and firesides.
SmootAR

Roku Mormon Channel Allows Instant TV Access to Church Media

Post by SmootAR »

This article was published on July 19, 2011.

http://newsroom.lds.org/article/roku-mormon-channel
rhusted

Meetinghouse Roku?!

Post by rhusted »

I heard a rumor from my Uncle in California that “the church is putting Roku boxes in the meetinghouses”. Is that true, or is it just a local rogue unit doing this? While I can appreciate that an Ethernet connection and a Roku box are probably a cheaper way to get BYU TV and the Mormon Channel (both of which are now available on Roku), I’m not aware that the church is wholesale replacing satellites with Ethernet and Roku. However, something like that might be cool for the future. (LDS-branded Roku boxes locked down to BYU TV and the Mormon Channel would be much cheaper than satellites, especially since the church is relying more heavily on meetinghouse Ethernet.)

Does anyone have further information on this?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It could well be a pilot program. The church has expressed interest in other posts about being able to stream programming to the units.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I certainly wouldn't label this as rogue. Just this week our Stake Presidency will be discussing the possibility - based on experience I had with my wife this last week. She taught RS and wanted a way to show a Mormon Message as part of that lesson. I have a laptop, and a tablet that were portable, but not really good for viewing.... could we have hooked up a Projector? Yes.. but pretty complex for a short video... so I brought in my Roku... Within minutes I had it talking on the wireless network, and using the RCA jacks on our television to show the video. (I have 9 buildings in my stake, and all of them have TV's - we have no LCD displays in our Media Centers). I'm thinking a Roku device in each building would be great. In addition it would help the 1 building in our stake that doesn't have a satellite to broadcast General Conference easily....

The one thing that would make the Roku devices pure perfection, is if a channel were to be created to accept the stake-initiated broadcasts.....

Return to “Digital Media”