Over-the-Top Interest?

Discussions on how emerging technology can assist the distribution of media content through mobile, kiosks, Internet, social networks, etc.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

Basically, Google TV only started with Dish but said they were working with other providers.

They also said that early next year (2011) they would be supporting Android apps, but even that will not be fully ideal due to how those are set up to display. However, an SDK for enabling with Google TV should be coming.

The other big change is going to start next year, it's already happening but to date the pricing of equipment is somewhat of a turn-off. However, in a couple of weeks at the annual Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, some manufacturers are going to offer an internet interface car stereo head unit (that's the part you see in your dashboard) that will support smartphones with apps that can be run by voice rather than with your hand or fingers. SDKs are either here or forthcoming for some of these so the necessary functionality can be added to existing apps. Many apps will be at first entertainment, particularly audio services, for now. I've even heard of price points that are only slightly above common pricing for lower- to midrange pricing for units now commony seen at discounters.
alan.richardson

Post by alan.richardson »

We use over the air digital tv, Netflix on the Wii, and cable is in our home only for internet access (and they act like a only-show-in-town monopoly).

For conference we connect up the laptop to the TV for connection to BYU TV, but over the internet is the only way we can access them. Fine for conference because not much else is going on then, but there are other times that one/some watching BYU TV and others on the computer becomes a gentle conflict of wants. Having to connect it up each time is also a bit cumbersome. (not difficult, just not handy). So I guess I would come down on the side of wanting internet-enabled television in the future.
TWNicolaysen

TV on the road

Post by TWNicolaysen »

At my techie son's suggestion, I purchased a Slingbox device, hooked it onto one of the two additional free cable boxes I obtained from Comcast, and installed the viewing software onto my laptop and iPhone 3. Now, whenever I'm on the road, or need to watch a program the rest of the family is not interested in, I watch it on the computer or the iPhone. We watched a BYU football game at 2:00 am while staying at a kibutz on the Sea of Galilee. Anything my cable service provides, including DVR control, is available remotely. Once the Slingbox device and the softward are purchased, there are no additional fees.

Return to “Digital Media”