Disambiguation

Ask questions and discuss topics of interest related to the FamilySearch wiki found at http://wiki.familysearch.org.

Moderator: ForbesMM

JensenFA

Disambiguation

Post by JensenFA »

When we originally imported the data into the MediaWiki instance of FamilySearch Wiki, the import of Georgia the country was overridden by the import of Georgia the USA state. We currently do not have a page for Georgia the country, nor a portal page for either location. I am currently creating portal pages for several countries and if I create a portal page for Georgia the country, then we will not be able to create a portal page for Georgia, the state. I know Wikipedia has disambiguation pages to handle this type of issue. We know that at some point this issue has to be addressed in FamilySearch Wiki. I believe now is the time to begin the discussion of disambiguation. See the Wikipedia Georgia disambiguation page as an example. What are your ideas?
The_Earl

Post by The_Earl »

jensenfa wrote:When we originally imported the data into the MediaWiki instance of FamilySearch Wiki, the import of Georgia the country was overridden by the import of Georgia the USA state. We currently do not have a page for Georgia the country, nor a portal page for either location. I am currently creating portal pages for several countries and if I create a portal page for Georgia the country, then we will not be able to create a portal page for Georgia, the state. I know Wikipedia has disambiguation pages to handle this type of issue. We know that at some point this issue has to be addressed in FamilySearch Wiki. I believe now is the time to begin the discussion of disambiguation. See the Wikipedia Georgia disambiguation page as an example. What are your ideas?
Start a discussion on what you intend to do in the Meta section of the wiki (ie. Talk:Meta:Georgia disambiguation). Post a link here to the article you create.

View the current naming discussion on this forum, and at Talk:Meta:US_Structure. Contribute to that discussion, especially concerns about what you are running into, and problems you are having. Don't let the 'US ONLY' scare you, I just want to keep the discussion from getting too far into other places.

In the interim, I would name the state 'Georgia, United States of America' and the country 'Georgia', I would build a disambiguation page called 'Georgia (disambiguation)', and link to both. I would also link the disambiguation page from the two others. Place a note on the disambiguation page that more articles should probably be added.

If you do not want to be as bold as to move 'Georgia', you could start your article somewhere else, and wait till consensus is reached at the talk page you create, then go for it.

Thanks
The Earl

Return to “FamilySearch Wiki”