Connecting a Ipad to sound sistem what to do for best result

Discussions around meetinghouse sound systems, microphones, assisted listening devices, and translation equipment
davidmarmolejo

Re: Connecting a Ipad to sound sistem what to do for best re

Post by davidmarmolejo »

I said at least stereo..

I wish we could order something like this :)

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JDIDuplex/
davidmarmolejo

Post by davidmarmolejo »

BTW would gold end connections would be better? are they worth it?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

davidmarmolejo wrote:I wish we could order something like this :)

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JDIDuplex/
I don't see it as all that useful. Yes, it has two channels. But you need two mic inputs to use it. In the case of a meetinghouse system, it just gets mixed to mono anyway.

Secondly, I don't see anything in the way of a volume control knob. It's relying on the mixing board operator to adjust the level. We don't have that luxury. The EJ-8 is a much better fit.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

jonesrk wrote:
michaelfish wrote: For me, I chose to spend the $25 and purchase one on my own. There are only three things you will need: A Pyle PDC21 Direct Box (or equivalent purchased from eBay for $14.92), a 3.5 mm to 1/4" adapter cable (monoprice part # 601045 for $3.30) and a microphone cable (monoprice part # 4750 for $5.62).
We use something like this. How does this compare with your setup? This seems quite easy, just a single cable.
Jonesrk, your solution will work but it will not sound quite right.

The cable you are using does attenuate (decrease) a line level signal to a microphone level signal, so you can plug it into a low-level microphone jack - but the impedance will not match and it is not balanced. The difference will be evident when listening to the lower frequencies. Using an unbalanced source with a miss-matched impedance in a balanced (professional XLR) input usually results in the sound being more 'tinny' instead of 'full'.

That is why I recommended using a Direct Box or crab. They not only attenuate the signal but match impedances (resistance/ohms) and balance the output. The resulting sound will be accurate and 'full'.

Church audio systems are of professional quality and use low-level, 150 ohm impedance, balanced inputs for good reasons. Matching these parameters will give you full, rich sound, better bass response and in the case of a microphone, more gain before feedback.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

michaelfish wrote:- but the impedance will not match and it is not balanced. The difference will be evident when listening to the lower frequencies. Using an unbalanced source in a balance (professional XLR) input will result in the sound being more 'tinny'.
Maybe. You're assuming they haven't wedged a transformer into the XLR body.

Also, most portable electronics will not have much of a reference to ground. They might well function as a "floating" input rather than a true unbalanced input.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

davidmarmolejo wrote:Wow you are extremely helpful ,btw wish i could buy a very professional direct box there is i think they are around 400 ? There very best pro ones? Or even much more?
davidmarmolejo, the prices I mentioned in my post are available online (eBay.com and monoprice.com) and are available to the public. The parts inside them are nothing more than resistors, a transformer, box, jacks, etc. Before considering purchasing one for $400, make sure it is made of gold.
Last edited by michaelfish on Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

russellhltn wrote:
michaelfish wrote:- but the impedance will not match and it is not balanced. The difference will be evident when listening to the lower frequencies. Using an unbalanced source in a balance (professional XLR) input will result in the sound being more 'tinny'.
Maybe. You're assuming they haven't wedged a transformer into the XLR body.

Also, most portable electronics will not have much of a reference to ground. They might well function as a "floating" input rather than a true unbalanced input.
I'm not assuming...I've torn one apart -- nothing more than a resistor.
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

davidmarmolejo wrote:i'm triying to explain to one of the counselors of the Bishop about it , but he does not know what i 'm taking about ..... how do i explain and do you know the name of it in spanish?
davidmarmolejo, get on the Internet and navigate to eBay.com. Type in "pyle direct box" or "nady direct box". Show the counselor the picture of the box. Explain that one of the cords will connect from the box to a headphone jack of the music player and a microphone cord will run from the box to the building's microphone jack. (Is this helpful?)
Kdallinga

Post by Kdallinga »

Church policy is that every building, stake or not, has an EJ-8. If you have an older building it may have an EJ-10. They’re essentially the same except the EJ-10 has a phone connector.

The EJ-8 is supposed (Knowing that ‘supposed to’ and reality are not always the same.) to be in the library with the other loose sound equipment (handheld microphones, microphone cables, hearing assistance receivers, etc…). The librarians are supposed to (see ‘supposed to’ reference above) check the sound equipment in and out the same way they do the chalk and crayons. All members should have access to the sound equipment from the library when they need it.

If your building does not have an EJ-8 please have the agent bishop contact the stake and have the FM provide one. We’d like to keep sound system devices within standards so the systems are easier to maintain and trouble shoot when needed.

The following link has a good description of the EJ-8
https://www.lds.org/callings/melchizede ... r?lang=eng

Connecting an iPad or almost any other tablet or smart phone is a fairly simple process with the EJ-8. The iPad has a headphone connection at the top that will accept a 3.5mm connector. Simply find the 3.5mm connector on the EJ-8 and connect it to the iPad, then find the other end of the EJ-8 cable and connect it to the EJ-8. The microphone connector on the EJ-8 can then be connected to any sound system microphone input in the building. The EJ-8 has a volume control that is used in conjunction with the volume controls on the iPad and building sound system.
ramorris43

Post by ramorris43 »

While a "crab" is the standard issue tool to provide the isolation and impedance match needed to access an XLR system there are less expensive solutions if the primary need is to get a typical headset output from a laptop ( etc) into an XLR. Find a tech guy that knows about inexpensive "direct boxes".

Return to “Meetinghouse Audio”