Support for Windows XP being discontinued

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
JeffTurgeon

Re: Support for Windows XP being discontinued

Post by JeffTurgeon »

My thought was that since it had Windows 7 on it originally, it wouldn't take much to put it back, besides reinstalling MLS and Sophos (church managed security software).

I have authorized Windows 7 pro install CDs (from my non-church work) and can get reinstall church software from the church download site. Would love to upgrade back to 7 and don't know why we would need to wait another 2 years if there is a 5yr end-of-use requirement for equipment replacement. As a fail safe, I'd surely create a backup of the XP image.

I don't understand the hold out, especially when hackers know that finding another weakness in XP code will go unfixed as of this coming Wednesday.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Yes, of course. If the computer has a Windows 7 Pro license key on it, there is no reason not to use it. The computer may have shipped with both XP Pro and 7 Pro installation media. When you use Dell media to install Windows on a Dell computer, it won't ask you to enter the product key.

Please ensure the computer has at least 2 GB of memory before you install Windows 7.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:When I called Local Unit Support a couple weeks ago, they told me the "plan" was to keep administrative computers running on XP until the computers are replaced as they age out (typically at the five year point).
Well, that's disheartening. Because my FM group has told me they're not doing the 5 year plan anymore, but "replace when dead". We have a number of XP machines.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

If it has a Win7 sticker on it you can and should upgrade it. Support gave me a link to download an image to burn a CD without question. Try calling them again, or is it appropriate for me to post the link here?

The "replace when dead" policy went into effect several years ago when the economy was at its worst, but it's back to the 5 year plan; you can see the policy on clerksupport.lds.org. Technically it says between 4 and 5 years, but for me it's always been after 5 years. But it seems there has always been a gap in communication and understanding between MHT and facilities.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

craiggsmith wrote:or is it appropriate for me to post the link here?
As this forum is public, I don't think that would be a good idea.

craiggsmith wrote:The "replace when dead" policy went into effect several years ago when the economy was at its worst, but it's back to the 5 year plan; you can see the policy on clerksupport.lds.org.
The policy itself has never changed. It's always been 5 years.

The problem is that The Policy is set by one department, passed on to Facilities, to the Area Facilities, to the local FM Groups. So different people can experience different things. I suspect it depends on how much stress the local FM budget is experiencing.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

russellhltn wrote:
craiggsmith wrote:or is it appropriate for me to post the link here?
As this forum is public, I don't think that would be a good idea.
Oh yeah, good point!
russellhltn wrote:
craiggsmith wrote:The "replace when dead" policy went into effect several years ago when the economy was at its worst, but it's back to the 5 year plan; you can see the policy on clerksupport.lds.org.
The policy itself has never changed. It's always been 5 years.
I thought I saw it in writing but I guess not, sorry.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

craiggsmith wrote:I thought I saw it in writing but I guess not, sorry.
I've seen a number of posts from people who said that's what FM told them. I think that qualifies as "in writing". ;) But I don't remember seeing anything authoritative about a "when fail" policy.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:I don't remember seeing anything authoritative about a "when fail" policy.
The policy has always been 5 years. The "when fail" was used by FM Groups with no budget as a fallback plan (plan not being a really good word here, but it is the best one I have).
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

lajackson wrote:The policy has always been 5 years. The "when fail" was used by FM Groups with no budget as a fallback plan (plan not being a really good word here, but it is the best one I have).
If I were an FM, I would do the same thing. You use your limited budget to fix what is broken. Do I fix broken plumbing and water fountains, or do I replace computers that are not broken?

Back in 2008, we were informed that we would not receive new computers for another year, due to budget cuts. While I was disappointed, I understood, and kept the old clunkers running another year. In December 2009, we received a big Christmas present of computers, monitors, and printers.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

Tomorrow the last 'Patch Tuesday' load will be released. However, reports via Sophos' 'Naked Security' blog indicate that Microsoft will still support the Windows Security Essentials portion of XP for another year. So we've got some time.

Also, Chrome and Firefox are set to continue updating for the forseeable future as well.

Some other software will support XP for a while too. May or may not apply to some Microsoft products.

Return to “Clerk Computers”