Anti-Virus Updates for computers w/ Internet access

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

DJC wrote:For dial up connections, it should try and update every connection
How is SAV able to distinguish the connection method to use a different update schedule?
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

RussellHltn wrote:How is SAV able to distinguish the connection method to use a different update schedule?
My guess is that they have custom code that runs some logic before it manually runs the Symantec Intelligent Updater named by jdlessley.
childsdj

Post by childsdj »

The Afaria client has the logic for dial up connections if I remember correctly. The high speed units works as normal. /due to the number of high speed units that are coming on, I will have to talk to the Symantec engineers to verify this.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

DJC wrote:If an MLS computer is on Broadband, CHQ needs to add their computer name to a domain to allow live update via high speed connection. As we have not had to deal with a lot of high speed machines in the past, I hadn't thought the issue through. The reason that they are not updating is because we have not added them to the high speed live update domain. I have to figure out how we are going to do that. If any of you want to private message me with the computer name of your local machine, I will add it and see if it works.
Has anyone had any success with this? I sent a private message to DJC a month ago, and a reminder two weeks ago, and have heard nothing from him. So our anti-virus definitions still require a manual update, even though we have a broadband connection. I'd love to get this working. I'm just curious if anyone has found any way to get the automatic updating working, with or without DJC's help.
childsdj

Post by childsdj »

Sorry, I have been out working on some other things and haven't been out here for a while. The way that the engineers had set up the group was different than I had assumed. I think I can now get them to work. Give it a couple of days to make sure that the local unit workstation names are put in correctly and they should begin working. I will repost when they are in.

Sorry.
childsdj

Post by childsdj »

For those that sent me a private message with their workstation names that are on the Internet via the Church Pix box have now been added to a group. Let me know if they update. Thanks.
aebrown
Community Administrator

No A/V update yet

Post by aebrown »

DJC wrote:For those that sent me a private message with their workstation names that are on the Internet via the Church Pix box have now been added to a group. Let me know if they update. Thanks.

I had sent workstation names several weeks ago by private message, but when I just checked our stake computer, no update has happened. My last manual update was 7/25/08 rev 3, and Symantec A/V reports that same date still.

I left the computer on for over 2 hours, then rebooted, just in case that was required (even though no message told me of any change), then it was on for another 1.5 hours, but there was no change.

I'm not sure what the requirements would be for having the computer on at a particular time for the update to occur. If there are specific requirements, it would be nice to post them.

Our Internet connection is via Cisco PIX in a FHC.
pmblood-p40

Post by pmblood-p40 »

jdlessley wrote:If Symantec Antivirus is not updating itself on a regular basis then it is nearly useless in protecting from attacks. In this day the need is to keep ahead of, if not at least up with, the ever growing threat environment. Waiting for a quarterly update to ensure protection is nearly laughable if it didn't cause me to cringe so much.

However, I am not so sure it is not updating on a regular basis. The software tool used is not Symantecs updater but LANDesk Manager. I know that FHC computers with LANDesk Manager update each day the computer is turned on during normal operating hours. If they are not turned on during normal operating hours for over a week then they must be updated manually through LANDesk Manager to ensure all updates are present.

Desktop 5.5 has a version of LANDesk Manager installed. I would assume it would update Symantec Antivirus just as is done in the FHC. I have not verified this yet for our single internet connected computer. It has only been two weeks on the internet connection.

After reading the posts above I will definitely check on it later today.
Do we have an answer yet on the procedure required to insure that anti-virus definitions are downloaded reqularly when there is an internet connection? I also have the same question about window's updates.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

pmblood wrote:Do we have an answer yet on the procedure required to insure that anti-virus definitions are downloaded reqularly when there is an internet connection? I also have the same question about window's updates.
DJC sent me a private message that I'm sure he would not mind me sharing:
I am waiting on the engineers of the Symantec deployment to help me on this. It should be working. For now, I would not worry about it, but when I can get their time and I can resolve it, I will post a message to your thread.
So we just need to be patient for now. We should have no expectation of any automatic updates, so we must continue to follow the policy of manually updating the virus defs at least quarterly.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

pmblood wrote:Do we have an answer yet on the procedure required to insure that anti-virus definitions are downloaded reqularly when there is an internet connection?
While this is not what headquarters has instructed, I have been using the Symantec intelligent updater on a regular basis - at least monthly, but I try to do it weekly for the Symantec product. This requires going to their web site to accomplish.
pmblood wrote:I also have the same question about window's updates.
Since we have not heard anything additional from headquarters about the Windows updates I have only done the stake computer and have been keeping a close eye for any issues. So far all the original issues I had have been resolved. It required me to change some settings on the computer to complete. Once the updates were done I reconfigured the computer as before. I would not recommend installing the Windows updates until headquarters gets back to us.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Clerk Computers”