LDSAccess is limited

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
michaelfish

LDSAccess is limited

Post by michaelfish »

I am trying to solve WiFi Internet connectivity through LDSAccess on my laptop. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am using a Lenovo G580 laptop running Windows 8.1 and can successfully connect to any SSID except LDSAccess. I can successfully connect to dozens of other WiFi SSID's at various locations but not LDSAccess (any church building). I've been to at least 6 meetinghouses and although I have no problem with Internet connectivity via the firewall or switch with a CAT5 cable, when I connect via WiFi to LDSAccess, I can only obtain a valid IP address. Internet access is limited.

Here's what I've tried:
  1. Forget LDSAccess network, (and forgot all SSID's)
  • Removed WiFi network card in device manager, (removed LAN card as well), re-discovered
  • Removed wireless network profiles LDSAccess with the netsh wlan delete profile name="LDSAccess" command (removed all SSID networks with the same command)
  • Deleted all profiles in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles
What else should I try?

Mike
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: LDSAccess is limited

Post by russellhltn »

When you say internet access is limited, what is happening? Access is filtered. Have you checked for any updates drivers for your pc?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

What I mean by access is Limited is this: after entering the LDSAccess password, connection takes a long time and finally reports "The Connection Is Limited". I am issued a random IP addess and cannot connect to the Internet. If I assign a static IP address to the wireless network adapter, I cannot ping the firewall. This only happens when attempting to connect to LDSAccess - I experience no other problems when connecting to a different SSID. Direct CAT5 cable connection is fine.

Driver are up to date on the network cards and PC.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Do you have access to TM (via some other way)? Can you check to see if the IP you're getting is valid? Do you know if they're using the Cisco APs or was this a "home grown" system prior to the church standardizing the equipment?

Some of this sounds like the buildings might be using an old config and has run out of IPs by the time you try to connect. TM is not a good indicator that IPs have run out.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:Do you have access to TM (via some other way)? Can you check to see if the IP you're getting is valid?

If the IP starts with 169. then you don't need access to TM. That's an auto-configure IP and not one that's ever given out by a DHCP server. From the description I'm pretty sure it is an auto-configure IP.

As russellhltn said it could be the router is out of IP addresses. But that behavior can also happen if your wifi passcode is wrong or if it isn't choosing the right encryption (like it's using only WPA when the router only accepts WPA2). I've had that happen before but not on the newer Cisco routers used in meetinghouses.
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

The passcode is correct. I've tested on several new Cisco routers in various buildings. The firewall is not running out of IP addresses.

The problem has been ongoing for the 6 months, in any building. Connection doesn't work if I'm the only one in the building or if I assign a VALID static IP address to the wireless adapter (old 10.169.163.xxx or new 192.168.108.xxx subnet).

It may be possible the encryption is not correct but remember I deleted the profiles and started again from scratch, so the PC should have automatically detected and assigned the correct encryption.
tlhackett
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by tlhackett »

We have had reports of some windows 8 laptops having problems connecting to LDSAccess (and campus wifi as well). We don't know of a solution yet. My theory is that there is an incompatibility between your wireless NIC/card and the cisco access points that we use. I do not have any more details other than that.

My suggestion is, if you are willing to spend a little bit, buy a usb wifi adapter and try connecting with that adapter (disable the internal wifi adapter when doing so) and see if you can connect. I'd be curious to know if that works.

Also, what kind of access points does the building have? Cisco 1200 APs (gray boxes with antennas), Cisco 1041s or the Cisco 702s?
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

what kind of access points does the building have?
The building(s) have 801 firewalls and 1041 access points.

LDSAccess is fine with external adapters or the internet CAT5 jack.

I suspect no problems with the internal WiFi as I can connect to dozens of other access points but when it comes to LDSAccess, it does not work. No IP address is obtained. Statically assigning an IP address do not work either. I've been to several other stakes (when the building was not being used) and I cannot connect there either.

When our stake's firewalls and access points were installed, I could connect and use WiFi for about a year. This problem started about 6 months ago.

The common denominators are only when using my laptop's WiFi adapter trying to connect to LDSAccesss.

My mind is wondering if my WiFi's MAC has been blacklisted (ha!).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

michaelfish wrote:801 firewalls
Do you mean 811?. I don't think there's ever been a 801.

Biggles

Post by Biggles »

russellhltn wrote:
michaelfish wrote:801 firewalls
Do you mean 811?. I don't think there's ever been a 801.
Or did he mean 881's?

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”