EVI-D80 Camera Controller

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
jswalberg

EVI-D80 Camera Controller

Post by jswalberg »

We just installed a Sony EVI-D80 camera, and need to decide on whether to use a joystick or software to control it. What do you all recommend? Please site specific joysticks or software packages and cost.

We ran a cat6 cable, but haven't terminated either end yet. Anyone have a schematic for how to connect it to the camera and also to the AVDH1 a/v panel? The a/v panel has a camera control port, but we nor the FM group know how to connect to it. It takes an RJ45 connector on the back it appears. What cable would you then hook into the front of the AVDH1 panel? Please link to a specific cable on Amazon if possible.

Thank you.

Justin
rolandc

Re: EVI-D80 Camera Controller

Post by rolandc »

First Cable for the Visca control
http://www.emtechelectronics.com/produc ... /16-visca/

The Manual and info for the drivers are here

http://www.emtechelectronics.com/medias ... b-2013.pdf

Hub to computer is a standard USB A/B cable
Visca Cable.JPG
Visca Cable.JPG (32.32 KiB) Viewed 9977 times
Attachments
Visca Pinout.JPG
Visca Pinout.JPG (32.1 KiB) Viewed 9977 times
Roland
jswalberg

Post by jswalberg »

Thank you very much Roland. Is the camera control port on the front of the AVDH1 panel just for hooking up to a computer in order to control the camera using software? What if we were to use a joystick controller (Sony RM-BR300)? Should we just by-pass the AVDH1 altogether in this situation, and perhaps put a keystone jack on the wall? Can you elaborate on the recommended cable setup when using a joystick with the EVI-D80? Our camera is ceiling mounted in the chapel, and the AVDH1 is about a 100-ft cable-length away.
rolandc

Post by rolandc »

I have no experience with the RM-BR300, and it does take its own type of cable.

The USB port on the AVDH-1 is there for your computer to connect to the camera after proper drivers are installed. They are described in the manual.
Roland
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

There are several ways you can control the Sony EVI-D80. A joystick controller, computer mouse/keyboard, or Infrared Wireless remote.

I have had experience with several joystick controllers including Vaddio, Sony, Kato (a Chinese brand). The prices for these vary depending one features, ease of use, if you purchase it new or used, etc.

My personal preference is either the Vaddio or Sony. Used Sony's start at about $700, and Vaddio's at about $1,000. They offer the best 3-axis joystick control including variable speed servo control (PTZ action - from slowest the camera can do [14 or more incremental steps] to the fastest possible). These controllers are super easy to use and there is almost no learning curve. Sony PTZ cameras have 6 internal presets which memorize every setting of the camera (position, zoom, focus, color, brightness, etc.) and the controllers have buttons reserved for each preset.

One of the best features of these controllers is the ability to override automatic white balance settings and fine-tune brightness and color settings so you can achieve the best possible picture and match cameras if you are using more than one.

Camera control is achieved by RS-232 or RS-422 communication using a set of commands (protocol) developed by Sony called VISCA. RS-422 can go 4,000 feet, and connection is simple with CAT5 cable (only 4 wires are used). Most of us prefer to use RS-422 instead of the RS-232 (requires a special 8-pin DIN connector and the recommended cable length is less than 50 feet - however some have had success with longer lengths). For RS-422, simply strip 4 CAT5 wires and secure them to the correct pins on the 9-pin Phoenix connector (transmit+ goes to receive+ and so on). If you choose to daisy-chain additional cameras, the 4 other pins go to the next camera, with one of the pins reserved for ground.

Sony controllers are used by professional broadcasters (they call PTZ cameras "Robo's") and they're great for worship services. The controllers can connect to and control up to 7 cameras.

The Kato controller is about a third of the price of the Sony and the 3-axis control is just as good, but it's other features are difficult to use. Controlling anything other than the movement is difficult or not even possible. The only features worth using are PTZ control and memorizing presets. Connection is the same as the Sony.

Side note: Sony's broadcast quality line of PTZ cameras are BRC instead of EVI. The baby of their professional line-up is the BRC-300 which has incredible smooth and super-slow PTZ control. Good used cameras start at about $600.
AndrewJAllen

Post by AndrewJAllen »

In the Wichita Stake Center they just use the remote that came with the camera and set the presets to different parts of the stage. Like 1 to the pulipit, 2 Organ, 3 Curister, 4 Paino, 5 stake president, 6 coir. Also if you need to put the camera some were different you could just pan that camera with the remote. Took the head ack out of the camera. Then they got a Iferred repeater in the AV closet that hooks up to the back of the camera. All it take is to push the Preset of pan the camera with the remote. This makes it easy if some one moves out of the ward or not in town for the use of the camera. The Picture is of the wall plate that had the infred repeater.
Attachments
camera.JPG
(875.14 KiB) Not downloaded yet
jmjoness

Post by jmjoness »

We are getting ready to mount our EVI-D70 camera, and I decided to write control software for it. It has basic functionality including pan, tilt, zoom, rates of pan/tilt/zoom, on/off, and presets. If anyone would like to try it before spending almost a $1,000 on a controller, or even $100 on a software controller, please contact me. There are only slight differences between control for the D70 and D80, and there should be no difference for the commands in this software.

If you would like to try my control software, I will make it available at no cost, and I'll support any issues that may come up. Contact me at jim@rnl3c.com
davidscott59

Post by davidscott59 »

My two cents worth if you have not gotten it solved yet. Is get a Joystick controller like the Sony brand. The software is not nearly as smooth to use.
jmjoness

Post by jmjoness »

I have been continuing to work on the camera controller based on feedback from a couple of people. Now that I have 2 cameras I am able to test the multi camera capabilities and that work well after a few tweaks. I have added support for auto/manual exposure, auto/manual focus, EVI-D30, and a few other things. My main purpose was so I didn't have to spend the money a hardware controller costs, and I'm glad I did.

Again if anyone wants to try it contact me at jim@rnl3c.com
jmjoness

Post by jmjoness »

Since my last post I have continued to make improvements to the software and we used it at our Stake Conference. It worked adequately, but I didn't like the effort needed to control the PTZ and rates at the same time. Therefore, I added joystick/gamepad integration and I really like it now. It's still free, and I have added a website with a little information and a download link.

http://www.rnl3c.com/ptzc shows the software and link and I will continue updating with operating instructions.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”