Tithing

Discussions about the Online Donation system.
robartsd

Re: Tithing

Post by robartsd »

Once everything is set up correctly the Bill Pay method requires no manual processing. For bill pay, each general church fund (Tithing, Fast Offering, Humanitarian Aid, etc.) is a separate payee and an account number associates the payment with a member. The bill pay method has no capacity for making payments to local accounts (such as in support of a missionary). By default, the bill pay contributions are seen by the local leaders, but it may be possible to request that they be kept private. Any inquiries about donating via bill pay should be directed to donations@ldschurch.org.

To set up bill pay donations, you will need to provide your name, membership number, address, phone number, email address, and name of the financial institution you wish to send donations from. You may also indicate the name of your spouse to indicate on reports (but the donation will only associate with one membership record). After providing the required information, donations@ldschurch.org will provide customized instructions for setting up bill pay to make donations. Online donations and donating directly to your local unit are preferred methods of donating, but bill pay is still an approved method.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I've been using Bill Pay for a long time. My local unit does not see any contributions that I make through bill pay. As of 2 or 3 years ago, Salt Lake started sending me a combined tax receipt that includes all donations made directly to church headquarters as well as my local contributions.

From what I've seen discussed here, anyone setting up a new bill pay to church headquarters is automatically opted in to share this information with the local units, but you can still ask them to not share that with the local units. That would go for all contributions you make through bill pay, not just tithing.
michaelabraham

Post by michaelabraham »

lajackson wrote:
williamjackson wrote:Is it possible for a person to make a donation on behalf of a child in their household? Can I, as a father, use the online system to make a donation that is attributed to my Primary-age daughter?
No. The person donating has to have their own LDS Account. I believe (but do not know for sure) that you have to be eight years old to establish an account, and doing so requires parental permission until age 13 (U.S. federal law requires this).
And for youth that do have a parent-approved LDS Account, they must be 13 years of age or older to make a donation online.
msanderssmith

Post by msanderssmith »

My daughter lives in the US Virgin Islands and just tried to pay her tithing online (through a US bank) and received the following message: "The Online donation system is not available in your area or unit. Currently, the Online Donation system is available only in the United States." Can you tell us when the option to pay online might be available to members in her branch? Thanks!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You (she) may get a false message if she doesn't have a valid primary email address associated with her account. I'd suggest she go to ldsaccount.lds.org, go to the "Contact" tab and make sure there's an address in the first "Email Address" slot.

Otherwise, there's probably some legal or banking issues. I doubt if there's any timetable to resolve that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
robartsd

Post by robartsd »

If the email address is not the problem, annother alternative may be to set up bill pay with donations@ldschurch.org.

Return to “Online Donations”