Adding events

Discussions about the Lesson Schedules Tool
kcard

Adding events

Post by kcard »

It makes no sense to me why it would not specify in directions for setting up lesson scheduling, that the inputting of events must be done by bishopric or clerk. I spent hours trying to input things properly.....not knowing why events was not even on the screen for me. If you want this done right why can it not be done by one person. Bishoprics and clerks are busy with many other things to worry about, especially at the end of the year, when the new year events should be put into lesson scheduling!!! Hours and hours of wasted efforts. General Conferences and Stake Conferences are listed on the Stake Calendar, not sure why they have to be input by Bishopric or Clerks?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Adding events

Post by aebrown »

kcard wrote:It makes no sense to me why it would not specify in directions for setting up lesson scheduling, that the inputting of events must be done by bishopric or clerk. I spent hours trying to input things properly.....not knowing why events was not even on the screen for me. If you want this done right why can it not be done by one person. Bishoprics and clerks are busy with many other things to worry about, especially at the end of the year, when the new year events should be put into lesson scheduling!!! Hours and hours of wasted efforts. General Conferences and Stake Conferences are listed on the Stake Calendar, not sure why they have to be input by Bishopric or Clerks?
I'm not sure where you looked in the help topics, but if you go to the Lesson Schedules Help Center, the very first topics (Lesson Schedules Overview and Rights and Roles) both mention that only an administrator can create events. Note that the term "administrator" also includes the ward website administrator; if your ward has a person with that calling, that might be a good person to help with scheduling events.

It seems to me that there are good reasons that events have to be set up by an administrator, rather than an organization leader or instructor. Events generally affect all classes for all organizations, and thus they have a significant impact across the ward. An organization leader may very well not have a sufficient overview of those impacts to choose correctly exactly how to set up the events.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kcard wrote:General Conferences and Stake Conferences are listed on the Stake Calendar, not sure why they have to be input by Bishopric or Clerks?
Not all events affect the lesson schedule. There's currently no way to identify what events do affect the schedule (like the conferences). So it ends up being a separate input.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mevans

Post by mevans »

Events can be tricky. If you want an event to only apply to certain classes, then you need to have created the classes before you can apply the event. But if you've created the classes, you might already have lessons, in which case you need to re-insert the lessons because adding an event just blocks out the date, but doesn't re-flow the lessons. In this situation, it's really helpful to be the administrator. I can get through it all pretty quickly because I'm an administrator, but if I was in your situation, I'd probably be frustrated trying to deal with matters, too.

In my case, I'm an assistant membership clerk. That was that calling that gave me permissions to do everything the bishop wanted me to do with the ward auxiliaries. I work with them to get their lesson schedules done. To echo aebrown's comment, an organization leader may not know all the events. I work with the stake to find out some things that are happening. This year I found out about a new thing that I doubt any organization leaders would have been aware of, but it's in the events now and we're planning around it.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Since priesthood and Relief Society use a manual that has 24 lessons, and those lessons are to be taught on the second and third Sundays of each month, I would add those lessons before any events are created for the year. When you create the events, some of those 24 lessons will be overwritten, which is OK with me. We traditionally skip those lessons, and tell the members to study them on their own.
All other classes that have 47 or 48 lessons for the year need to be added after the events are created, so they may "flow" around those event dates. If you create those classes before the events, your December lesson schedule will be empty.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
cheesecake83

Post by cheesecake83 »

I had an administer add the events, then I went back in, deleted the classes, and re added them. It still didn't add the events like it says it should. What could be the problem? It is for all the primary classes that I am trying to make a schedule for.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

cheesecake83 wrote:I had an administer add the events, then I went back in, deleted the classes, and re added them. It still didn't add the events like it says it should. What could be the problem? It is for all the primary classes that I am trying to make a schedule for.
When you deleted the classes, those classes were removed from the list of classes the events would replace. This can be corrected by having the administrator edit the events to include the classes you recreated to have the event replace the lessons in those classes. If you want the previously scheduled lesson to be postponed rather than replaced you will have to edit the classes. In the class(es) you want the replaced lessons to be postponed, find the line that says "Some lessons may be missing due to newly created events." and click the hyperlinked text that says "Insert missing lessons". This will postpone the lesson scheduled on the event date to be moved to the next lesson date. For more information see the Lesson Schedules Help, "How Events Affect Lesson Schedules".
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
Raeghn

Post by Raeghn »

I agree with others here. It seems odd that an administrator needs to add events. For some reason, there are "no events" for me to add to my relief society lesson schedule, but the primary has some events on their lesson schedules. Not sure how that happened. Please add the ability for presidents and/or secretaries to add events...
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Raeghn wrote:I agree with others here. It seems odd that an administrator needs to add events.
Actually, only the original poster expressed that sentiment. Everyone else was fine with or supported the fact that administrators add events. But you're certainly welcome to add your opinion to this discussion.
Raeghn wrote:For some reason, there are "no events" for me to add to my relief society lesson schedule, but the primary has some events on their lesson schedules. Not sure how that happened.
When an administrator adds events, they can specify which lesson schedules the event affects. This is useful, where perhaps a ward conference might affect an adult Sunday School class but doesn't affect Primary classes. Check with your ward administrator (whoever added the event(s)) and request that they make sure the events affect Relief Society.
Raeghn wrote:Please add the ability for presidents and/or secretaries to add events...
This is just a community discussion. Use the Feedback link on LDS.org to make your suggestion -- that way someone will see it who can properly consider your suggestion.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Raeghn wrote:It seems odd that an administrator needs to add events. For some reason, there are "no events" for me to add to my relief society lesson schedule, but the primary has some events on their lesson schedules. Not sure how that happened. Please add the ability for presidents and/or secretaries to add events...
I don't agree that presidencies and their secretaries should be able to add events as the Lesson Schedules is currently implemented. This would result in narrowly focused organization leaders entering events that could unnecessarily alter lesson schedules for other organizations.

I do agree with the concept of organization presidencies being able to add events that only affect their organization. This will require reworking the current implementation to allow this yet restrict those events to the presidency's organization only.

The current implementation does allow an administrator to restrict an event to certain organization classes. But if this administrator only permission is given to every organization presidency then there is significant potential for one organization to create events intended only for their organization to affect other organizations.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Lesson Schedules”