Newsletter, LDS tools, and Sacrament Programs

Discussions about the Newsletter Tool at LDS.org.
ag_boy

Re: Newsletter, LDS tools, and Sacrament Programs

Post by ag_boy »

I know. I think it is hilarious that the hymnal app has a blank page with no explanation.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

agrapha wrote:I know. I think it is hilarious that the hymnal app has a blank page with no explanation.
Every hymn app I have used provides a note on those pages that the text, or music, or both cannot be displayed due to copyright restrictions. I have not run into the app that simply throws a blank page, as you apparently have seen.
ag_boy

Post by ag_boy »

The official LDS app works that way. The web page gives a reason.

But back to the point, although nice to have an IOS open the hymnal app based on a link, the flash plugin makes it unreliable. If using any online links - go directly to the PDF
ag_boy

Post by ag_boy »

I have had significant success using google docs templates for the design. It is now a collaborative tool among the bishopric, which I was able to update while traveling abroad. It is easily updated moments before sacrament meeting and printed for the meeting.

Furthermore, I created a Google sheet that different auxiliaries log in to to fill in requisite information, and automatically fill in page numbers for songs based on their title. The sheet collates the information which is then copied and pasted into the Google doc for final layout and printing. This sheet allows for variant templates, as the information is separate from layout.

Every program is archived as a PDF file and set up as a link on the newsletter page. Hot links exist for every song that directly jumps to the church website, and prompts to launch the church Hymns app. The Google sheet is also archived every year to keep record of speakers, prayers etc. and is accessible to the bishopric at any time.

Almost every program uses artwork directly linked to the LDS.org libraries, as opposed to uploading found files from the net.

It was my goal, stated here almost one year ago, to have a system working like this. I am adding to the functionality whenever I can, but am limited by the fact it is an outside application. It cannot tie into the LDS apps to publish it directly to every member of the ward, or query stake calendars for events. This would all be possible if the toolset were adopted more directly.

I wish to present this very collaborative workflow to the technology group in Salt Lake, as this kind of tool could exist within the church website system natively. I can make this kind of setup due to my profession, but it is not reasonable for everyone to build one from scratch. This has broader reach than sacrament programs, and I welcome the discussion.

Who can I talk to to arrange any meetings?

-Johnathan Banta
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

agrapha wrote:Who can I talk to to arrange any meetings?
Generally, members who have developed something and tried to turn it over to the church have been met with little to no success. The Priesthood Department along with other departments at CHQ determine the needs and directs the development appropriately. Because the church is focused on serving the Lord and not member's wants, they behave quite differently than most business enterprises. Coming from bottom up is like Salmon swimming upstream.

You might have better luck getting neighboring wards to use it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ag_boy

Post by ag_boy »

So. Who do I talk with?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

That's part of the problem. There really isn't anyone to talk to.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

You could try emailing LDSTech <tech@ldschurch.org>, which would get you to someone in the ICS department who might know who it could be forwarded to. One of the limitations isn't so much that the Church doesn't want to address different needs – it's that there are so many needs that need to be addressed and the number of developers is relatively small. So, priorities are set by leaders of the various Church departments, who can request developers and allocate their budget to create a specific product or fix a certain bug. You may have success sending it up the priesthood line (through your ward/stake) to a general authority who oversees Sabbath day initiatives, or online tools for leaders. I'd love to see these ideas be incorporated into the LDS.org online tools (like Leader and Clerk Resources).
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
ag_boy

Post by ag_boy »

Found this forum is open and searchable (despite having to log in). Want to edit out a name in an old post. Anybody have a way to do that?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ag_boy wrote:Found this forum is open and searchable (despite having to log in). Want to edit out a name in an old post. Anybody have a way to do that?
PM a forum moderator or admin with the details.

Return to “Newsletter”