Adding classes to 2017

Discussions about the Lesson Schedules Tool
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Adding classes to 2017

Post by lajackson »

casper684 wrote:If I put in a newsletter by auxiliary there is place for "attachment" for I can't figure out how to get a blue link to actual lessons?
I do not believe you can actually put links in a Newsletter article. I think you have to attach a file that has the links in it. The members would have to access the attachment and then click on those links, admittedly not a very efficient process. And because of that, I wonder how long the Newsletter function is going to be available.

In the meantime, there is another lengthy discussion going on that provides some suggestions on other methods for distributing lesson schedules and class information.
mevans

Post by mevans »

casper684 wrote:That is the link for the manuals. If I put in a newsletter by auxiliary there is place for
"attachment" for I can't figure out how to get a blue link to actual lessons?
Seems as if creating a lesson calendar too much work for each auxiliary.
Thoughts on how to accomplish putting lesson schedules WITH link at same
time?
Well, instead of the church creating all the hyperlinks once and we all get to use the work, we can all do that work ourselves many times over. :( By "blue link," I believe you mean hyperlink. There's a tool on the newsletter toolbar for creating hyperlinks. You can click on it and enter the URL along with the text.
casper684

Post by casper684 »

Thank you extremely helpful. I tried it and that did work. Our ward does not use
the newsletter feature. However, our Stake has a very useful Consolidated Regional
Reference Guide that they made up that is very useful for the Stake. I thought it
was something the Church made up. It was put in as a Stake Newsletter.
Ward Website Administrators remind members it's there :-)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

casper684 wrote:Thoughts on how to accomplish putting lesson schedules WITH link at same time?
I'd suggest making the schedule a PDF and attaching it to the newsletter article.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

Well, instead of the church creating all the hyperlinks once and we all get to use the work, we can all do that work ourselves many times over. :( By "blue link," I believe you mean hyperlink. There's a tool on the newsletter toolbar for creating hyperlinks. You can click on it and enter the URL along with the text.
What you say is that the Church needs to hire someone that do the work for fews units that use it?
Maybe we can ask that that work can be done in a volunteer bases.
casper684

Post by casper684 »

Thanks for the link :-)
samavimaant

Post by samavimaant »

Since the lesson scheduler functionality is going away at the end of the year, I do not think we will be able to add any manuals to lessons group you might create now. WE will need to find out other solution for creating lesson schedules for the different classes.
djaykendall

Post by djaykendall »

The Church has stopped adding classes automatically to the lesson schedules. You can still add the classes. Add your events (ward conference, stake conference, general conference) first. Then manually add your classes. You will need to manually add your classes to the High Priests, Elders Quorum, Relief Society, Primary, and Sunday School classes. The youth Sunday School, Young Men, and Young Women are automatically added because their courses are all online. To add a lesson, I click the edit icon by the week I want to enter the class. I select "Topic (Custom)". From here, I open another window in my browser and go to the lesson I want there. I highlight the title of the lesson and copy it. I go back to the lesson schedules tab and paste the title in the "Lesson Topic" line. I go back to the LDS website where the lesson is and click on the link in the upper left search bar. I copy the link to the website. It will look something like this: "https://www.lds.org/manual/teachings-of ... e?lang=eng". I paste it in the "Lesson URL" line. If I know who the teacher is, I put them in. I then click the save button.

I know this is a bit of a hassle, but I have our ward using it all the time. I am glad they left the program up so that we can still utilize it. They just won't propagate the reading materials in the classes anymore.
mevans

Post by mevans »

*sigh* This week we have a lesson shown for the 4th Sunday. I set up the Teaching for our Times lessons back in November before they announced they were discontinuing the tool. djaykendall, I thought about using it the way you indicated. it sure would be nice. I just fear they'll take it down, so I don't want to go to the effort of putting things there. My completely uneducated guess is Lesson Schedules will go away after the end of February when the Newsletter is also discontinued.
djaykendall

Post by djaykendall »

I guess we'll see what happens. I notice when I set up the lessonstairs this time there is a setting for 2018 also.

Return to “Lesson Schedules”