Where are e-cards on mormon.org?

Discussions about other Church websites
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Where are e-cards on mormon.org?

Post by kennethjorgensen »

I have tried to use the following link again:
http://www.mormon.org/ecard/create.jsp
to create an electronic e-card for someone and while it takes me all the away through and email me to confirm I am the one to send it it doesnt seem to work as it just loads a page to say it cannot find the ecard.

The following link http://www.mormon.org/mormonorg/eng/send-an-e-card actually shows the same message as the link in my confirmation email.

I assume my links no longer works and there must be new links for ecards. Does anyone know where they are as I cannot find them.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dkjorgi wrote:I have tried to use the following link again:
http://www.mormon.org/ecard/create.jsp
to create an electronic e-card for someone and while it takes me all the away through and email me to confirm I am the one to send it it doesnt seem to work as it just loads a page to say it cannot find the ecard.

The following link http://www.mormon.org/mormonorg/eng/send-an-e-card actually shows the same message as the link in my confirmation email.

I assume my links no longer works and there must be new links for ecards. Does anyone know where they are as I cannot find them.

I'm not so sure that e-cards are a feature of mormon.org anymore. The link you provided goes to a page that obviously predates the current look and feel of mormon.org. When you just start at the home page of mormon.org, there is no way I can figure out to send an e-card.

So my guess is that the feature has been removed from the intended functionality, but some of the old web pages were not cleaned up in the last makeover, so that's why the links still sort of work.
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Alan_Brown wrote:So my guess is that the feature has been removed from the intended functionality, but some of the old web pages were not cleaned up in the last makeover, so that's why the links still sort of work.
Thats what I thought too when I looked at the first link but the reason I was curious was because the second link is like the NEW look. Also the confirmation email I get has a link which takes me to a new looking webpage which made me think they might still want the functionality to be included.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It's possible the "look" is due to a change in the style sheets that somehow updated some pages even though they were no longer a part of the new site.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

There is a link on the LUWS in the Missionary Work Resources section titled "Send an electronic Pass-along Card" that links to the e-card feature of Mormon.org. This would have to be updated or removed if e-cards are no longer going to be part of Mormon.org. The URL for the link is "http://www.mormon.org/egreetings/1,8566,800-1,00.html" but gets redirected to "http://www.mormon.org/mormonorg/eng/send-an-e-card" when Mormon.org opens. You get a "Card Not Found!" error message for that link.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

I'll send this thread over the the PM of the project.

Tom
gibbymd-p40

Mormon.org Program Manager

Post by gibbymd-p40 »

All,
Greeting Cards are not a current feature in the new version of Mormon.org. We hope to be able to reintroduce this feature at some point in the future with a new design and new content. Thanks for your interest!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

gibbymd wrote:All,
Greeting Cards are not a current feature in the new version of Mormon.org. We hope to be able to reintroduce this feature at some point in the future with a new design and new content. Thanks for your interest!

Thanks for the quick response; it's nice to have some clarity, even if some will be disappointed that the feature is not currently available.

However, there are still two loose ends that really need to be addressed:
  1. If people have bookmarks to the e-card pages, they should be redirected to a page informing them that the feature is no longer available. Right now they end up on a page that leads them to believe that if they just try hard enough, they might get it to work.
  2. The link on the LUWS to the e-card pages really must be removed. That's probably a different team, but someone needs to fix it.
MorettiDP

Why a new version?

Post by MorettiDP »

A good question is, why a new version to Mormon.org if the previous version is so new too? The layout of old Mormon.org (the previous that this new) are so more beautiful than a blank layout like today and are introduced in 2007 year end (i believe). Why need to move again?

Another important thing is that the Missionary Department have expressed the idea to translate the site to international languages at the language box on the botton of the site. It's never happen. The appearance of international versions of Mormon.org are so old like a site built in 2001 can be.

Why change the English version if the international versions are never revised? Why can't the Church re-create the international versions to be like the English Mormon.org? Why change the site again if the old site are more bealtiful and so functional like the new site?

Thanks, and sorry for this English!
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

I am thankful to have had my question answered. I am still a bit puzzled why the "old" (which looked pretty new) Greeting Cards feature couldnt just have been kept until a new one was ready. The surrounding of it could have the new style applied but then have the flash application be the same.
The worst is when existing functionality is taking away over and above new "look and feel".

Return to “Other Websites”