Streaming on Sunday for lessons

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
RyanGard1977

Streaming on Sunday for lessons

Post by RyanGard1977 »

I was told that there is policy somewhere that the only streaming that should be taking place in the building is for General and Stake Conferences- and that members should not be streaming/downloading content on Sundays but rather download the lessons & content to their personal devices to play from come Sunday. Is this true? if so can someone tell me where the policy is at as I'd like to suggest posting it in our meetinghouses in my stake due to the high amount of streaming activity that is going on on Sundays which is eating up bandwidth making things slow for the Clerk's & Bishops.

Thanks
Ryan Gardner
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Streaming on Sunday for lessons

Post by russellhltn »

I don't know as it's "policy" but rather guidance. Odds are that streaming on a Sunday is likely to result in a lot of buffering - and frustrated teachers.

Frankly, if the system is so bad that the clerks and bishops are complaining, I'd doubt if streaming would be successful. Members might be using their own data plans. (Or, they might have actually downloaded the content.)

There are filtering options (under the direction of the stake president) that can be implemented to free up bandwidth for church use.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

https://www.lds.org/help/support/improv ... net-access

Reducing Internet Traffic

Church websites provide excellent audio and video materials that can be downloaded to computers or handheld devices. However, because streaming live video from the internet consumes large amounts of network bandwidth, and because internet bandwidth is a shared resource, please invite instructors to download web content at home. Downloading web content at home eliminates the need to use the meetinghouse internet. After instructors download web content at home, they can use meetinghouse audiovisual equipment to present that content during Church meetings.

There are resources that provide additional information on how to present Church materials without taxing the meetinghouse internet. For example, the Media Library webpage describes how to show videos without using the meetinghouse internet. Also, the "Media Players and Displays" article describes how to use a wide variety of audiovisual equipment, including mobile devices and projectors, while minimizing use of the meetinghouse internet bandwidth.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

https://www.lds.org/media-library/frequ ... -questions

Downloading Media
How do I download a video to my computer?
How do I download videos to an Android smartphone or tablet?
How do I download videos to my iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch?
How do I download videos to a DVD that is playable on a DVD player?
How do I download an image to my computer?
How do I download an image to an iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch?
How do I download an image to an Android smartphone or tablet?
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”