Priesthood Session Audio/Video

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
charly3358-p40

Post by charly3358-p40 »

tomw wrote:Talking about the technology behind the broadcast of the general conference priesthood session is great but speculating about why or why not our leadership chooses to make something available is probably not a good topic for these forums. I'll try and get an official statement.

Tom

Maybe it is a tech problem: they mistakenly left sound out of the .mov file, or maybe church .mov isn't working anymore with sound?:)

But it was definitely better before when one could download the entire session. Has Tom found that official statement or explanation?

Any chance that they can add sound to it now because I can't get the DVD either here,(seems sold out)
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

charly3358 wrote:Maybe it is a tech problem: they mistakenly left sound out of the .mov file, or maybe church .mov isn't working anymore with sound?:)

But it was definitely better before when one could download the entire session. Has Tom found that official statement or explanation?

Any chance that they can add sound to it now because I can't get the DVD either here,(seems sold out)
I've not heard yet and will re-ask for the statement.

Tom
Bender-p40

Post by Bender-p40 »

Hello, first excuse my English, my language it is spanish
it is available Priesthood Session live audio/video for any internet connection, or only for those connections connected through the sytem of the church (MLS or genealogy connections in the chapels)?
¿Or through the Internet will not be available to anyone? because as I read in this forum, through satellite it is only available for decoders of the Church in the chapels.
Greetings
opee

Post by opee »

Bender wrote:Hello, first excuse my English, my language it is spanish
it is available Priesthood Session live audio/video for any internet connection, or only for those connections connected through the sytem of the church (MLS or genealogy connections in the chapels)?
¿Or through the Internet will not be available to anyone? because as I read in this forum, through satellite it is only available for decoders of the Church in the chapels.
Greetings

Bender,

Bienvenido al forum. The Priesthood Session will not be available through the Internet. You will have to go to a chapel that has the LDS satellite to watch it.

http://www.lds.org/conference-info/0,21 ... -1,00.html says:
"Note: General priesthood meeting will not be available as a live Internet audio broadcast."
Jazzman-p40

Post by Jazzman-p40 »

I believe the original question for this thread was about downloadable audio/video, not the live online broadcast. I believe the two are very different questions. I can understand the desire to have all priesthood brethren attend a broadcast of the general priesthood session at their local Stake center. I did this last week to see it live. But now I want to listen to all the conference talks again. Is there a reason the audio from priesthood session isn't made available after the fact?
jtwitchell

Priesthood Session

Post by jtwitchell »

I asked my bishop what he thought about the topic, and his suggestion was that it may be related to the question while getting temple recommends about "Have you attended all your priesthood meetings?". He said that General Priesthood session is counted towards that question. Still doesn't answer the question about why it isn't available online afterwards...
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

All I know is ever since I became a member in the 80's, PH has always been "closed circuit" and never been put out for general broadcast. Only in the Ensign do you get to know the talks.

With the digital satellite system, PH is encrypted, where as the General Sessions and the RS/YW sessions are not.

Clearly some kind of policy is at work here, but I don't know what to reference to explain why.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Post by kennethjorgensen »

net_runner wrote:I asked my bishop what he thought about the topic, and his suggestion was that it may be related to the question while getting temple recommends about "Have you attended all your priesthood meetings?". He said that General Priesthood session is counted towards that question. Still doesn't answer the question about why it isn't available online afterwards...
Is that a new question in the last 2 years?

I can only remember one with "to attend your sacrament and other meetings"
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

Brethren,

I think any discussion on why the Brethren do this or that is beyond this forum.
The topic is taking on a flavor of questioning policy. There's a definite comrade that's present in personally attending a broadcast. As the Priesthood is considered a Quorum I believe it's important for us to meet together. In addition our stake leadership often takes this as an opportunity to make local announcements, which is something that couldn't be done otherwise.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Techgy wrote:Brethren,

I think any discussion on why the Brethren do this or that is beyond this forum.
The topic is taking on a flavor of questioning policy. There's a definite comrade that's present in personally attending a broadcast. As the Priesthood is considered a Quorum I believe it's important for us to meet together. In addition our stake leadership often takes this as an opportunity to make local announcements, which is something that couldn't be done otherwise.
Agreed. The question as to what the temple recommend questions are and what they imply is out side the scope of this forum.

I do think the question of why the broadcasts aren't made available is an innocent one. A response from someone at Church HQ would definitely be helpful. If the answer is "because it's just policy," then I think it must be left at that with no further discussion.

Return to “Main Church Website”