Transfer out of Other into Missionary Account

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
npw2005

Transfer out of Other into Missionary Account

Post by npw2005 »

We received a donation for one of our missionaries from another unit without any communication from them. We need to transfer it from Other - Member Authorized Activities (where they put it) into the mission fund. I don't see any way t o do that on LCR or MLS.

Any help would be great!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Transfer out of Other into Missionary Account

Post by russellhltn »

See if you can re-classify it. Otherwise, I think you'd have to write a check and then deposit it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

There isn't any way to re-categorize a transfer and you can't transfer between Other and Missionary funds. So the only option is to write a check and then deposit it as russelhltn suggested.
npw2005

Post by npw2005 »

Great, thank you very much!
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

npw2005 wrote:We received a donation for one of our missionaries from another unit without any communication from them. We need to transfer it from Other - Member Authorized Activities (where they put it) into the mission fund.
Makes me wonder which of their unit categories was the source of this transfer. I assume they intended to transfer from their ward missionary fund to your ward missionary fund, but they chose your Other AMFA category instead. If the source of the funds transfer was their Other AMFA category, then I wonder what purpose they collected those funds for in the first place? Or if the source of the funds transfer was their ward budget, then ...?

If there was no communication from them, then how do you know it was intended for one of your missionaries?
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Which raises another issue. If they put the donation into AMFA, the donation won't show up in that donor's tax statement. The only why I can think of to fix this is to transfer back and have them re-categorize the donation to the ward missionary category and then transfer again.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
npw2005

Post by npw2005 »

drepouille wrote:
npw2005 wrote:We received a donation for one of our missionaries from another unit without any communication from them. We need to transfer it from Other - Member Authorized Activities (where they put it) into the mission fund.
Makes me wonder which of their unit categories was the source of this transfer. I assume they intended to transfer from their ward missionary fund to your ward missionary fund, but they chose your Other AMFA category instead. If the source of the funds transfer was their Other AMFA category, then I wonder what purpose they collected those funds for in the first place? Or if the source of the funds transfer was their ward budget, then ...?

If there was no communication from them, then how do you know it was intended for one of your missionaries?

They put it in the comment box.
jboyce50

Post by jboyce50 »

You can easily transfer those funds if you do the transfer in LCR. Transfer from Other MFA to ward mission account and specific missionary .
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

jboyce50 wrote:You can easily transfer those funds if you do the transfer in LCR. Transfer from Other MFA to ward mission account and specific missionary .
Unfortunately that is not the case. For transfers in LCR from Other:AFMA the only destination options are budget categories and Other:AFMA categories. Missionary accounts are not an option.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”