"Send a Message" Function on LCR

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: "Send a Message" Function on LCR

Post by scgallafent »

If it's not sending emails to out-of-unit members, there is a bug that has made its way into the code. Please submit feedback.
dhollowell

Post by dhollowell »

@scgallafent - I’ll take some screenshots from LDS Tools. It’ll clearly show that her email address is on her record in our ward, but the email icon (the envelope) isn’t displayed when I send an email through LCR. I’ll take care of tomorrow.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

If what you're seeing is in Member Tools, I'd suggest sending feedback via the app. The developers can figure out if it's their code or the data.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
egram1949

Post by egram1949 »

I use the "Send A Message" function to send weekly announcements to Ward members. The message NEVER looks the same as how I copy and paste it or even when I enter it "fresh". How can I solve this problem? I'm not that techy advanced so I'd need a step by step answer to solve this very annoying problem. Hope someone can help.
chriswoodut

Post by chriswoodut »

dhollowell wrote:@scgallafent - I’ll take some screenshots from LDS Tools. It’ll clearly show that her email address is on her record in our ward, but the email icon (the envelope) isn’t displayed when I send an email through LCR. I’ll take care of tomorrow.
Any chance she has locked her record in the directory? Members can limit visibility of their contact info to only leaders. I wonder if that would also remove it from the send-a-message tool. You being a leader would see the email but the tool may not use it?
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

dhollowell wrote:@scgallafent - I’ll take some screenshots from LDS Tools. It’ll clearly show that her email address is on her record in our ward, but the email icon (the envelope) isn’t displayed when I send an email through LCR. I’ll take care of tomorrow.
Don't post the screen shot here. That will save us the trouble of having to remove the personal information. :)
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

egram1949 wrote:I use the "Send A Message" function to send weekly announcements to Ward members. The message NEVER looks the same as how I copy and paste it or even when I enter it "fresh". How can I solve this problem? I'm not that techy advanced so I'd need a step by step answer to solve this very annoying problem. Hope someone can help.
The HTML editor in "Send a Message" was never intended to be a full-featured word processor or publishing tool. If you're pasting from Word or some word processing tool, there are no guarantees that the result will match the word processor.
chriswoodut

Post by chriswoodut »

egram1949 wrote:I use the "Send A Message" function to send weekly announcements to Ward members. The message NEVER looks the same as how I copy and paste it or even when I enter it "fresh". How can I solve this problem? I'm not that techy advanced so I'd need a step by step answer to solve this very annoying problem. Hope someone can help.
As the other person pointed out, if you are creating the email in Word or other tools, you will lose most of the formatting. HTML email won't recognize fonts or they can get substituted. Text size will get weird, etc.

My rule is to keep it very basic. For our sacrament program, we use Google Docs to format it. BUT, we only use white space generously, we keep it left justified, we use bold/italics, basically rich text formatting, I think text color works. We can then copy that and paste it into send-a-message. I have found it is best NOT to edit the email after pasting -- just send it. The white space/carriage returns won't look right in the send-a-message but it will look right in google docs and in gmail and my android client. OR, just type it ALL in the send-a-message tool and it seems to look right at the receiving end.

You're asking for display confusion/differences if you try to get fancy with columns, tables, font sizes, font changes. That's my opinion.
jacobstimpson

Post by jacobstimpson »

Is there a way to provide "send a Message" rights to a member of the ward? We assign a member to send email reminders for various activities etc and currently they send it out of their private gmail account. It would be great if we could allow them to use this tool.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jacobstimpson wrote:Is there a way to provide "send a Message" rights to a member of the ward?
You cannot assign rights. You can only place members in callings that have rights by virtue of their calling. When they are entered into their callings at LCR, they usually inherit the data rights of their calling within about 24 hours.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”