Expenditure Receipts

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jaysonplazo

Expenditure Receipts

Post by jaysonplazo »

Hi all,

I'm just wondering, does the Receipt need to show the product that has been purchased or will this be flagged during an audit?
I have few given to me that are card transaction receipts (Visa Debit/Contactless) instead of the actual receipts.
They show the total amount, the date and time but not the actual item.

Thanks
chriswoodut

Re: Expenditure Receipts

Post by chriswoodut »

jaysonplazo wrote:Hi all,

I'm just wondering, does the Receipt need to show the product that has been purchased or will this be flagged during an audit?
I have few given to me that are card transaction receipts (Visa Debit/Contactless) instead of the actual receipts.
They show the total amount, the date and time but not the actual item.
I had this come up the other day. I've gone back and asked for more details. It is allowed if you have a lost receipt to write an explanation, so I would assume you could do the same here. We don't like the idea of not seeing the details either, so our approach is to push for it and discuss if we can't get it. We DO want to reimburse people and we don't want them to just not turn it in because they don't want to find the paperwork.

I'm not an auditor -- just a ward clerk. Maybe it's not so helpful for me to post what we do.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

We have seen an instance where the member purchased online with their phone but the receipt did not list the product. They did indicate what was purchased in the email they sent with a screenshot of the receipt on their phone. I uploaded both documents for the reimbursement.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I worried about that when our youth had a paintball activity. The receipt named the business, but it did not specify the service provided.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

I always ask if I can get a receipt that shows the item or service provided, but sometimes that isn't possible, especially in this day and age when everyone wants to do all things digital...

Return to “Local Unit Finance”