Moving a missionary funding account

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
wallaced

Moving a missionary funding account

Post by wallaced »

I currently serve as the ward clerk. A missionary received his call while living in our ward. His family moved shortly afterward. The gaining ward has not made an attempt to contact CHQ about transferring the missionary's funding account, so my ward has been charged for the past two months, putting this sub-account is in the red, since no one has donated to his account. I have contacted the gaining ward clerk, and my bishop has tried contacting the gaining ward Bishop, but to no avail. So....I assume the stake may pick up the tab for the two months already paid, correct? I don't know from what pot of money the CHQ is drawing from, since there is a negative balance here at the ward level. And how can we talk the new ward into assuming responsibility for this missionary? The members of our ward already support a missionary...l don't think we can support another one. Thanks!
drepouille

Re: Moving a missionary funding account

Post by drepouille »

When the Funding Unit is changed to the new unit, the mission debt can also be transferred to the new unit. Either an effective date of transfer can be set, or the entire negative balance can be transferred.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Have you tried contacting CHQ? I'm sure they'll want to check with the gaining bishop first, but I'd do that. If that doesn't work, contact their stake president.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
clarkcito2

Post by clarkcito2 »

How can you change the funding unit? I need to transfer a Missionary account from another ward to mine due to the family moving here. How do I do this?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

clarkcito2 wrote:How can you change the funding unit? I need to transfer a Missionary account from another ward to mine due to the family moving here. How do I do this?
Contact support. I'm sure they can direct you to the right department.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

I believe you (or at least the bishop) can do this now using the Missionary Online Recommendation System but I don't have access to that system myself so I can't give detailed directions. The other option is to contact the Global Service Center. In that case your bishop needs to contact the bishop of the other ward to confirm that they will take responsibility.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

As a ward clerk, I don't see any way to change the funding unit in MORS. Then again, we don't have any missionaries serving right now.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

drepouille wrote:As a ward clerk, I don't see any way to change the funding unit in MORS. Then again, we don't have any missionaries serving right now.
This method was mentioned a couple years ago in another thread but no details there either. But I'm pretty sure my bishop did our last transfer in MORS. I guess I should ask him to show me.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I haven't been in the system for a while now, but did know this was a function available, I was talking to our clerk just last week about it and he came back and said sure enough, it was right there, bishop granted him access then they made contact with the other ward.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
patrickhewitt

Post by patrickhewitt »

Updated Info - Aug 2021

I recently encountered a situation where a Missionary had her records in our ward but the parents/members were unable to donate/pay funds into her mission fund - and they did not appear in our financial records as our Wards Missionary. I learned through a search in this Forum there is a link under APPLICATIONS in .org called Missionary Online Recommendation System (MORS). Because her records are in our Ward I was able to see her name listed, along with other missionaries from our Ward showing information about HOME UNIT, FUNDING UNIT, and SUBMITTING UNIT. Apparently when the Church invoices for missionary expenses they submit those to the FUNDING UNIT - which by default is associated with the SUBMITTING UNIT. This individual had submitted her mission papers while at BYU so our Ward was NOT identified as the FUNDING UNIT. Through MORS is was able to submit a request to have our Ward be the FUNDING UNIT. This then automatically generates an email request for the current FUNDING UNIT to approve (i.e. the Bishop). Once the FUNDING UNIT change is/was approved by the Bishop of the SUBMITTING UNIT the missionaries information was changed within MORS. Please note however - our Ward will NOT see her as one of our missionaries, and will not appear in our financials records (or under donations) UNTIL the next invoice is sent by Church HQ - which is typically the 1st Thursday of each month. Hope this helps all those with similar questions/challenges.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”