Is there an easy way to transfer from Ward Missionary to General Missionary online?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
sixpacktr

Is there an easy way to transfer from Ward Missionary to General Missionary online?

Post by sixpacktr »

I am the clerk in our branch, and we currently do not have any missionaries serving out of our branch.

I have a balance (not much, under $100) in Ward Missionary. I have spoken with our BP, and we'd like to just clear that out and put it in General Missionary. Is this doable online? I tried but the rules state I can only transfer WM funds within the Stake.

Pls advise.
eblood66

Re: Is there an easy way to transfer from Ward Missionary to General Missionary online?

Post by eblood66 »

I do not believe that it's allowed to transfer ward missionary funds to the general missionary fund. Certainly the systems do not allow normal transfers. I'd first check with the stake and see if they would like you to transfer it to the stake's ward missionary fund so that the stake can later transfer it to other units which may need help. Or they might want you to transfer it to another ward or branch in your stake that might have use for it. If not then I'd contact the global service center and ask how to send the surplus to Salt Lake (see item 2 in the very last section of Missionary Finances in the Help Center).
davesudweeks

Re: Is there an easy way to transfer from Ward Missionary to General Missionary online?

Post by davesudweeks »

Our stake president is pretty active in watching the ward missionary funds and instructs wards to transfer funds to other wards regularly if they see a need. I think the first place for the OP to go with their question should be the stake clerk or stake president.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Handbook 1: 14.4.3 covers what should be done with unneeded missionary funds.

While not stated, I'd certainly offer the funds to the stake before sending them to church HQ.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

See "Other missionary finance guidelines" here:
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/hel ... y-finances
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
sixpacktr

Post by sixpacktr »

Thank you Brethren. I have kicked this up to our Stake Clerk for direction. I imagine we have several missionaries out from our stake that could use this money instead of it just sitting in our account doing nothing.

Thanks again for the help.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I was a very annoying stake clerk. Each month, when the CUBS financial statements were released, I calculated the maximum amount each unit could have in their ward missionary fund, and suggested an amount they should transfer to the stake's missionary fund. Our stake was repeatedly advised from on high that we should have no more than 90 days (at that time $400 x 3 months) for each serving missionary. I had to exempt those missionaries who had obviously paid ahead for their mission. We asked families to NOT pay ahead, because we had several missionaries return home early from their missions, and we could not refund their "donations" to the family.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

drepouille wrote:I was a very annoying stake clerk. Each month, when the CUBS financial statements were released, I calculated the maximum amount each unit could have in their ward missionary fund, and suggested an amount they should transfer to the stake's missionary fund.
Our stake stays out of the middle of the transfer. The stake president sends an email to the bishop of the ward with excess and asks him to transfer a specific $ amount from their ward missionary fund to XX ward's ward missionary fund (anything posted to a specific missionary's sub-account is not considered). The bishop forwards the email to the clerk who makes it happen. We have been both the donor ward and recipient ward in times past.

1+ the suggestion to advise families of serving missionaries to donate over time rather than a lump sum (for the same reason).

Return to “Local Unit Finance”