Office applications

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
drepouille

Office applications

Post by drepouille »

https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Product_Release
I was surprised to learn that OpenOffice.org was transferred to the Apache Software Foundation on June 1st, 2011.
What are the comparative strengths and weaknesses of LibreOffice relative to OpenOffice?
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Office applications

Post by russellhltn »

Doing a web search for "libreoffice vs openoffice" will turn up a few articles.

At this point, I think Libre is coming out ahead.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

I have used both. I prefer LibreOffice personally, though I haven't used OpenOffice in a couple of years.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

I believe LibreOffice is more actively being maintained and developed. And for me, LibreOffice has some subtle advantages that were of benefit when I was working with Microsoft Office documents at work.

There was a time when Open Office seemed to fall off the edge of the world, but they are back and both programs are very similar. I would google some articles, read the newer ones, and decide if the advantages LibreOffice has to offer are beneficial. They are to me, so I prefer LibreOffice over Open Office.

Return to “Clerk Computers”